Roadkill

Lady Venom
Lady Venom Posts: 213
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
Squished a squirrel today..... 23mph on the flat, little bugger diced with death in front of me then ran back to go under the real wheel. Luckily it wasn't too messy and the bike is fine. He's not ok though.... :oops: RIP

I put my 28minute 10 miles down to this dude, would have been quicker otherwise :D

Comments

• themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Aim for the neck next time, slows you down less than ploughing all the way through their torso.

I saw no less than THREE roadkill badgers on my ride today. Group suicide pact?
  • Lady Venom
    That's a good idea, I think I got the body, was quite a hefty hump I had to go over. Couldn't bring myself to see whether he made it away it one piece or not.....

Lots of suicide out at the moment, sad times
  • themightyw
    I blame the bankers.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Did you scrape him off the road and have him for tea? I believe squirrel meast tastes nutty :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I saw a web poll somewhere a couple of months ago saying 'Would you eat roadkill ?'

The answer was an overwhelming 'yes', so long as it was something you'd eat anyway
    - which I guess includes pheasants, ducks, rabbits, deer but doesn't include moles, crows or badgers...

For me, I'd add that it would depend on whether it was 'a clean kill' or well squashed...
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    We get these wandering around on the roads I ride:

http://wmbizblog.files.wordpress.com/20 ... uffalo.jpg

So if anything managed to run it over I'd certainly have a bit!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    andy_wrx wrote:
    I saw a web poll somewhere a couple of months ago saying 'Would you eat roadkill ?'

The answer was an overwhelming 'yes', so long as it was something you'd eat anyway
    - which I guess includes pheasants, ducks, rabbits, deer but doesn't include moles, crows or badgers...

For me, I'd add that it would depend on whether it was 'a clean kill' or well squashed...

You can't beat fresh beaver imho.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Lady Venom wrote:
    Squished a squirrel today..... 23mph on the flat, little bugger diced with death in front of me then ran back to go under the real wheel. Luckily it wasn't too messy and the bike is fine. He's not ok though.... :oops: RIP

I put my 28minute 10 miles down to this dude, would have been quicker otherwise :D

Chasing him over three fields may have also had an impact on your average speed. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Back in november, on a group ride, one rider in front of me ran over a squirrel. Didn't kill it, but managed to break it's arm/leg/shoulder and it was in agony running all over the place.

I was riding a set of ventos that day with G3 spoking, so there were big gaps between spokes, and the poor little writing around in pain darted through my front wheel. He just wasn't quick enough though, and got picked up by my wheel and he got jammed between my spokes and my mudguard stays. At this point the poor little thing still wasn't dead, but was bleeding heavily from it's mouth. My Wheels were absolutely caked in blood, luckily I was wearing black tights and overshoes, so you couldn't see the blood on them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    How many points for a squirrel?

It's actually 'how many points for a scrote?'

Standard Scrote: 10points
    Scrote with crutches: 20points
    Overweight Scrote: 20points
    Drunk Scrote: 30points since they can be harder to hit

You gain extra bonus points for getting combinations of scrote hits. So for example a Scrote with crutches who's overweight and drunk will gain you 70points with a triple scrote score of 30 to round you off to 100 points.

Animals don't count since they're not scrotes.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    How many points for a 300kg Red Deer stag then? Got one of those the other day, completely mashed him up and very little to recognise afterwards.

Sorry forgot to mention, I was driving a 120 ton train at the time :wink:
  • markos1963 wrote:
    How many points for a 300kg Red Deer stag then? Got one of those the other day, completely mashed him up and very little to recognise afterwards.

Sorry forgot to mention, I was driving a 120 ton train at the time :wink:

Dont think anyone's going to top that :lol:
    Skinny Git on a Bianchi.
  • themightyw
    A mate of mine hit a deer while on his driving test and still passed. True story,
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Good eatin'. If they're fresh kill. Possum too.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    You were lucky. It could be much worse, the rider of this bike survived but IIRC from when I first read about it he was reasonably badly injured, broken bones certainly.

76039319_f5e81e4f93.jpg

An Irish cyclist was killed a couple of years ago when a cat ran out in front of him.

To be honest whenever I am being chased by dogs I am generally more worried they are going to run into/under my wheel than bite me... was being chased by a small yappy one the other day when a learner driver decided it would be a good idea to overtake. The car really spooked the dog and it almost ran under the bike.
  • Lady Venom
    blorg wrote:
    You were lucky. It could be much worse, the rider of this bike survived but IIRC from when I first read about it he was reasonably badly injured, broken bones certainly.

76039319_f5e81e4f93.jpg

An Irish cyclist was killed a couple of years ago when a cat ran out in front of him.

To be honest whenever I am being chased by dogs I am generally more worried they are going to run into/under my wheel than bite me... was being chased by a small yappy one the other day when a learner driver decided it would be a good idea to overtake. The car really spooked the dog and it almost ran under the bike.

That looks nasty....... although that's one reason to support getting another bike :wink:
  • my mate hit a badger a couple of weeks ago. right nasty fall straight over the top, ruined his nightvision jacket and winter tights. Badger survived but was like hitting a brick wall. Glad it wasn't me though i am a proper wimp
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,516
    I spooked a pigeon last year, shredded itself in my front wheel, bit messy. Shame it wasn't wood pigeon.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Paired spokes Vs Forks = Surprising outcome.

Those forks have sheared almost perfectly at the impact point :shock:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    That squirrel will be claiming compensation! He'd be nuts not to!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Paired spokes Vs Forks = Surprising outcome.

Those forks have sheared almost perfectly at the impact point :shock:

I thought that too. I know people ride carbon forks with no problems, but that just doesn't do anything for my confidence in them(however misguided it might be). I think with my steel forks the outcome would have been a bit more bloody, along with a few more pieces of squirrel scattered about.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I doubt the outcome would differ much whether you were riding carbon or steel forks, you would have been flying over the bars either way and your steel fork would be rendered unrideable.

There is a squirrel in his spokes, whatever material the fork is made of that is not going to be a good outcome.

Incidentally I once had a fast crash into a blunt object on a carbon fork. Carbon seemed utterly fine but the alloy steerer was bent badly.

I've had lesser crashes on steel forks and written them off.
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    http://www.chainreaction.com/squirrels.htm

This guy went as far as making a website about squirrel attacks
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I hit a parakeet on the way to work a few weeks ago...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    themightyw wrote:
    I saw no less than THREE roadkill badgers on my ride today. Group suicide pact?

Farmer.