service?

leonbradbury
leonbradbury Posts: 15
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
ive done just over a 100 miles on my new specialized road bike now and i think i might be time for its first service but is it to soon? i have noticed that i am making less nosies while riding it and the bike is making more and some times the gears silp how much will a first service cost.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    How long since purchase? Most shops allow you to bring the bike back in for tweaks and checks after you've ridden it for a week or 2.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ive only had it for about 5 weeks and that is one thing i did not ask the shop i will give them a call, thanks
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Generally shops will do a first service free - one of the things they do is adjust the brake and gear cables which have stretched.
  • squigs
    squigs Posts: 149
    I bought mine from a Specialized Concept store in Cornwall, 1st service (after 6 weeks) is free. Then they recommend every 6 months, currently doing about 250 miles a month
    Sirrus Comp 2010 (commuting)
    Roubaix Pro SL Sram red (Weekend sportives)
    Certini Campagnolo Mirage (Turbo trainer)
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    If you bought it from a shop it'll usually be 6 weeks for a free service. They'll tighten the cables and check the brakes and bolts.

If you bought online, then you'll have to pay at a LBS.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 60
    Or you could learn how to service the bike yourself. Its very easy to set up gears and check for tightness of components etc.

But if you get stuck, then take it to your LBS.
    Winter Bike: Specialized Allez Elite
    Summer Bike: Specialized Tarmac Pro SL