New rear wheel for Carrera Vulcan

asdfhjkl
asdfhjkl Posts: 333
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
I have a Carrera Vulcan and the freehub is knackered. This has given me a good excuse to upgrade the rear wheel. Not too bothered about weight (its a heavy bike anyway) but anything's an improvement when each wheel weighs over 3lbs :P

What exactly should I be looking for in a rear wheel, then? I weigh about 13 and a half stone and ride mostly xc, so not doing any jumps or taking big hits. I know the hub has to be 6-bolt for the rotor. Hub also has to take an 8 speed cassette.

On the subject of cassettes; I currently have a 11-32T one, although I never find myself needing to use the biggest two cogs. Would I be better off with a 11-30T or even 11-28T to give myself a better range of gears for my strength?

Can't afford to spend too much: looking at about 80-90 quid all in for the rear wheel, cassette, and a chain. Was thinking about getting one built by CRC - Deore M525 6 bolt hub, Mavic XM317 rim and SRAM PG830 8spd cassette. That comes in at about 75 quid. Would this be suitable for me and my type of riding?

Many thanks!

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    That wheel would be a great choce. I currently run that hub but have a DT X455 rim on it. Its tough as old boots! I weigh 14 stone and sometimes misbehave with it but have had no problems except 2 snapped spokes (shop rebuilt it badly after the first one snapped) and having top reajust the cup and cone system once or twice. :D
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Thanks Peter.

Thinking about getting an XC717 or XM719 instead of the XM317. Better quality, and I'm leaning towards the XM719 since I like to run wide tyres.

Going for the build on CRC, what spokes would anyone recommend? DT Swiss Champion or DT Swiss Competition (which are double-butted)? Is there any significant advantage to double-butted spokes over non-DB spokes? Having consulted the great Sheldon Brown, I'm still not really sure :oops:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Double butted. Build into a more resiliant wheel.

I thought Sheldon was quite clear on the benefits of butting lol.