best time for a ride

MrTapir
MrTapir Posts: 1,206
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
THis maybe a bit of a silly question but is there a time of day where its more beneficial for one to do training? My work is only 3 miles but usually i fit in a 10 miler before, is it better to do it before work (and before breakfast) or after work?

Or does it not really matter?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I believe a study has shown that early afternoon is the best for training (in the general term), but I couldn't point you towards the peer reviewed article.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    There was a slightly lighthearted look at this in the last C+. Page 24. Nothing conclusive though, surprisingly :wink:
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    According to the North American "First Peoples" horoscope, I'm a Wolf or something.
    Normally, I'm a Taurus the Bull.

They say that my "best time" is, 5-7am and 5-7pm...

Not sure about the am stuff, but I did commute from Essex to London during the '95 train strike. Left at 5.30am, got to work at 9am, 55 miles thro heavy City traffic.
    Some days I rode from the City to Chelmsford, 35 miles at about 5pm onwards.

So, there "may" be something in it...
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    After a big sh/t
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I find after work is best. I'm usually stressed and filled with wild fantasies of torturing and maiming some of the people that I've had to deal with all day and rather than causing my blood pressure to explode while imagining the perfect scheme I just go for a bike ride and feel at least 90% better. Since I commute by bike about 50% of the time I can just extend my 5 mile ride home which sounds like something that might work for you too. My speed and endurance have not improved much with this training method but I'll probably live longer. :twisted:
  • crack of dawn . then you can slob out all day
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Any time she says yes :wink:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Sicknote wrote:
    Any time she says yes :wink:

Or any time she says, "No". :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    when the temp climbs above 50 Fahrenheit in my case :D Far to cold before that :lol::lol:
    Dave :wink:
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Scrumple wrote:
    After a big sh/t
    Is that because you then weigh less or because you can go out safe in the knowledge that you won't need one mid-ride? :lol:
  • I find that by 8pm I'm awake, thats the time i normally head to the gym.
    But obviously that time isn't perfect for bike training, but for me it is def late evening past 6pm.
    Barely any traffic, can mull over the day and have usually consumed my food for the day.
    I have worked out in the morning but my mindset quickly changes to I've worked out therefore i can eat whatever i like (not good when trying to lose 20lbs) if i work out at night less likely to ruin it through the day
    “If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.” Lewis Carrol

'Feel the fear, then do it anyway'

'tomorrow, tomorrow tomorrow never comes, today is already here'
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,930
    I'm a morning person so tend to do my training before work. Everyone is different though. Plus its worth noting that most races/sportives will be early morning ones so it does no harm to get your body acclimatised to working at that time.
  • Scrumple wrote:
    After a big sh/t
    . LOL

and a good clean with the baby wipes!!!!!!!!
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I believe a study has shown that early afternoon is the best for training (in the general term), but I couldn't point you towards the peer reviewed article.

What if you work nights? I'm out at 4am most times, which is my "afternoon". Is it a temperature-related thing or a body-clock thing?
  • mattbass789
    mattbass789 Posts: 355
    I think it all matters to how your body works, i find it hard to get going on weekdays yet the extra hour in bed of a weekend i can be up and gone by 9am for a ride.

i generally go for a ride when im awake.... generally.
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • i generally go for a ride when im awake.... generally.[/quote]

I just meant when i feel most awake, early morning i'm awake but not at my best.
    “If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.” Lewis Carrol

'Feel the fear, then do it anyway'

'tomorrow, tomorrow tomorrow never comes, today is already here'
  • There was a study that suggested it was 1622 hours, when all of the important physiological factors are at their peak. I find this true for gym work (between 1500 and 1700) but it is crap for urban cycling as there are too many idiots on the road during rush hour.
    I wouldn't suggest doing any distance on an empty stomach. My commute is 11 miles, which is about my limit without food. The other morning I went into work to pick something up and did the return journey straight away, I bonked like a mother licker.
  • For me. First thing in the morning, before the roads get too busy.
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    Ideally I would take my longer ride in the morning - when the traffic is less and to catch the sun rise. Unfortunately I rarely get up early enough to eat breakfast and allow it to settle before getting on the bike - so I tend to struggle into work on an empty stomach and eat breakfast at work and then take a longer route in the evening.

The big bonus of riding in the evening as another poster pointed out is that it is an excellent way of destressing/ disconnecting from work.
  • mattbass789
    mattbass789 Posts: 355
    i generally go for a ride when im awake.... generally.

I just meant when i feel most awake, early morning i'm awake but not at my best.[/quote]

Nah, I came off my bike at one point and was knocked unconcious, rode home but dont remember any of it. I vow i may have been talking but hadn't regained full consiousness.
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    tigerben wrote:
    Ideally I would take my longer ride in the morning - when the traffic is less and to catch the sun rise. Unfortunately I rarely get up early enough to eat breakfast and allow it to settle before getting on the bike - so I tend to struggle into work on an empty stomach and eat breakfast at work and then take a longer route in the evening.

The big bonus of riding in the evening as another poster pointed out is that it is an excellent way of destressing/ disconnecting from work.

Yeah this is what i think i am going to start doing, struggling to get up for work at the moment so a longer ride means i get to work late. I think the destressing thing is a real bonus, or perk if you will, of riding after work for longer.

Incidentally someone above said there are lots of nutters driving in rush hour - i find the opposite actually, drivers in rush hour rarely behave stupidly, its the ones at the weekend that are a nightmare