What Headset?

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
My 2 month old WTB Greaseguard headset is on its way out already so I'll be needing something to replace it.

Budget around £40 and I think I'd quite like something with cartridge bearings this time.

It needs to be able to take some proper abuse too.

I see that CRC have the FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro on offer at £38, and the FSA Orbit MX on offer at £40.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Bit over budget, butI'd go for a Hope. I've never touched mine in 2 years and when I took the forks out last week, the bearing are still smooth as butter!

Worth the extra in my opinion
  • Mmmm, not so sure about a hope one. I have no doubt they are superb headsets, but I'm just not convinced I can't get one that works just as well within budget.
    I don't need fancy colours (unless it's orange) :wink:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    On one are selling a race face one for under 30 quid. They get some good reviews
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    FSA Orbit MX are phenomenal headsets, Ive run a few FSA sets and all have been nothing short of superd, AIIRC they come in Anodised colours now ;)

No need to look at anything else :)
  • FSA Orbit MX are phenomenal headsets, Ive run a few FSA sets and all have been nothing short of superd, AIIRC they come in Anodised colours now ;)

No need to look at anything else :)

That's all I needed to hear :D I'm getting one in white.

Oh, and for anyone else looking at this thread thinking of buying a headset, avoid the WTB greaseguard like the PLAGUE!

Greaseguard my ass, the thng was like a collection trough for grit and muck.

It also seems to have welded itself to my steerer now meaning I cant get the forks off.

AAAARRGHH!!!!
  • The Big Cheese
    Cool, you won't regret it, and the white ones are really nice in the flesh.

Will suit your build a treat!! 8)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    FSA The Pig.....about £15 and bullet proof.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • The Big Cheese
    cee wrote:

True, but he wants sealed cartridge bearings this time around, not caged/loose ;)
  • cee wrote:

I nearly bought one of these in the first place, but got the greaseguard instead. Epic Fail on my part! :roll:

Orbit MX now ordered, cheers all. :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Whichever FSA you like the colour of, once you get above the basic models they're all good. I have FSA in one and Hope in another, they're functionally absolutely identical but the Hope cost twice as much. (I would have gone with another FSA but they don't have as good a reducer option as Hope do)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • deebizzle
    deebizzle Posts: 46
    seems like you've already made your mind up but I'd throw the Cane Creek S-3 in there.. £30 and been absolutely solid for me.

Cheers
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Reiterating, throw the extra money on Hope.

The only two headsets I have have that were fint and forget were Hope and CK.

Guess which one costs less.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?