Andy Schleck's Knee - Game over for him?

Doobz
Doobz Posts: 2,800
edited March 2010 in Pro race
In the off season he had this operation on his knee and I believe the scar tissue has not healed correctly and now causes this inflammation when he rides. He has been unable to finish any of his races because of the pain it causes,

What are the chances of him being ready for any of the major races if he is able to race at all?
cartoon.jpg

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I seriously hope not.

He is stunningly talented at bike racing.
  • I seriously hope not.

Not with only one leg hes not
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Doobz wrote:
    In the off season he had this operation on his knee and I believe the scar tissue has not healed correctly and now causes this inflammation when he rides. He has been unable to finish any of his races because of the pain it causes,

What are the chances of him being ready for any of the major races if he is able to race at all?

IMO if he goes through March and and April with the problem still persistent then his chances of being competitive at the Tarmac Classics are non existent and for the TDF slim at best.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I seriously hope not.

Not with only one leg hes not

He can come to my races. I'll show him how it's done with just one leg. 8)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    :(
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Doobz wrote:

Wasn't it Frank who had the knee operation?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Andy has had some problems with his knee.

As far as not being able to finish 'any of his races' - he's only had the one so far, GP Friuli.

He pulled out after about 160 kms, but he said (on Twitter) that he's knee was okay - just a bit sore.

I'm with Moray - I'd give it another couple of months before I'd worry about a ruined TdF campaign.
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    He is down to start the Eroica on Saturday so that will fairly test his knee!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Andy has had some problems with his knee.

As far as not being able to finish 'any of his races' - he's only had the one so far, GP Friuli.
    He pulled out after about 160 kms, but he said (on Twitter) that he's knee was okay - just a bit sore.
    I'm with Moray - I'd give it another couple of months before I'd worry about a ruined TdF campaign.

He was due to ride Mallorca week, but had to pull out, due to his knee.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    the TdF could be really boring this year...

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones wrote:
    the TdF could be really boring this year...

To be fair, you could have said that any Tour since 2003.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • 2007 was good until the chicken got fried/fired.

back to topic, I hope Andy the best - as a twitter follower - I do feel worried about the training he has missed. Frank is painting a picture, on twitter, that is much worse then Andy is saying.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Andy Schleck pulls out of Catalunya

uh oh.. Looks like he is broken!! :shock: :shock:
    cartoon.jpg
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He quit because of a dodgy stomach.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Kléber wrote:

Another one! Waits for the posts trying to see some sort of conspiracy :D
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • wicked wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Another one! Waits for the posts trying to see some sort of conspiracy :D

I'll start :twisted: Maybe the doctors magic pills were tested on people with a different diet to cyclists. Not naming names, like Armstrong, EBH and Schleck. Just a theory :twisted:

I hope he gets better, makes for a better TDF. I wouldn't take Andy's word for it on how good/bad it is, as another poster said - look for what Frank says.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    He's had a big argument with Bjarne, would rather screw up Bjarne's year by not competing effectively and then form his own team in 2011 and win stuff.

Nahhh, as a conspiracy theory it fails badly.
  • I confirm three things.

1. I have suffered from said stomach bug.

2. I am not on performance enhancing drugs

3. During said stomach bug I did not sit on a saddle. I sat instead on something more porcelain.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    T-Mobile's chef from 2004 has started a mobile catering business. Possibly.
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 211
    Came off my trials bike a few years back and had a huge chunk taken out of my left knee, Scarring was so bad and deep that it took over a year for it to settle down enough that I could ride either for of bike without discomfort, seems a reasonable issue to me.

If catalunya is a bug has JV needs to send him a new crapstrong wrist band...see NYV's latest Toto.... brilliant
  • if his knee is really that bad I feel for him

but...

you have to realize he could be healed but is just milking it as mindgames to teh other tour contenders.

i think wiggins has done the same this past week. he didnt get the GC win in that race he did recently (?) so is covering up with some health story to make people think his fitness is not to blame.

this is normal in bike racing. its all poker

they all secretly are trying the best to beat AC but they wont ever say that the form is 100% and they are trying 100% because people will be disappointed. riders do it all the time. like cav. if he won msr this year it would be a big suprise because he said he was on poor form. last year he said he would try his best and people were underwhelmed because of it. if he came 2nd to haussler he would have looked like a complete idiot however!
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    if his knee is really that bad I feel for him

but...

you have to realize he could be healed but is just milking it as mindgames to teh other tour contenders.

i think wiggins has done the same this past week. he didnt get the GC win in that race he did recently (?) so is covering up with some health story to make people think his fitness is not to blame.

this is normal in bike racing. its all poker

they all secretly are trying the best to beat AC but they wont ever say that the form is 100% and they are trying 100% because people will be disappointed. riders do it all the time. like cav. if he won msr this year it would be a big suprise because he said he was on poor form. last year he said he would try his best and people were underwhelmed because of it. if he came 2nd to haussler he would have looked like a complete idiot however!
    If they were 100% & form 100% now,then they have NILL chance come July
    Contador (all things being equal) will win the TDF
    Wiggo will target the Giro,then realise that the gradient of the Dolomites etc are somewhat different to the long,steady gradients of the Alps,& someone like Cunego will show him the way
    (None of which might happen,but it's my twopennoth worth!)
    so many cols,so little time!
  • That's the thing with cycling though, all things are rarely equal, that's the beauty!

And the day Cunego "shows Wiggo the way" will be interesting. All things being equal Cunego will never win another Grand Tour
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    That's the thing with cycling though, all things are rarely equal, that's the beauty!

And the day Cunego "shows Wiggo the way" will be interesting. All things being equal Cunego will never win another Grand Tour

Yeah, and when they're in their rocking chairs, he'll still have one more than Wiggo :wink:

Strava is not Zen.