wider bars recommendations?

Koiler
Koiler Posts: 513
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
hi,

looking for some wide riser bars so i can get my brakes and shifters in the right place. my current ones are sort of tapered, and get thicker towards the stem meaning i cant slide the brake levers in far enough. so im thinking some extra width is needed!

so im looking for something 710mm + wide, 50mm ish rise and 31.8mm clamp

something quite strong would be good. for FR type riding

im looking at these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=34517 and thinking i could always cut them down if they're too wide

or these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28698

anyone got any recommendations for about £40?

thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at these:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&c=69&p=632&

Fairly light, very strong with scandium.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    How about the Pro Atherton bars: 50mm rise, quite light, very strong and don't flex!!!
    Dan Atherton uses them for 4x

I run the 20mm rise version and they are great!!!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Spank lounge bars, as seen on my inbred WIP below, 700mm wide, but a very long control section so loads of room for controls. I reckon i could get my brakes so inboard that the levers barely overlap the grips!
  • Pete-C
    Pete-C Posts: 353
    I have the funn fatboy b handlebar on my pitch with the 30mm rise. They feel perfect for hard AM riding with a good backsweep
    "Its all fun and games till someone gets hurt, then its hilarious"
    Pitch Comp
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    I ride with the fat boy and love it. as pete say's perfect for hard riding and plenty of leverage. my girlfriend has the spank lounge bar which is also nice but slightly narrower than the fat boy.
    i would also recommend the rippa stem if you are going with the fatboys, a great combo!
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Spike 777s if you want wiiiiiiiiide (777m long - it's in the title)

Or Burgtecs.......

RF Atlas bars come up wide and in ano colours. I thnk CRC had offers on them
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Spike 777s if you want wiiiiiiiiide (777m long - it's in the title)

Or Burgtecs.......

RF Atlas bars come up wide and in ano colours. I thnk CRC had offers on them

If you want really wide FSA make some bars that are 800mm wide. Mind those trees :lol:
  • Koiler
    800mm? i dont think my little arms would reach the ends :lol:

i quite like the look of the spank lounge bar. and if its got a long control section like you say, it could be perfect!

the fatboy looks to get thicker towards the stem? so i think that option is out which is a shame. its nice and cheap!

some good suggestions tho, cheers guys!
  • Koiler
    800mm? i dont think my little arms would reach the ends :lol:

i quite like the look of the spank lounge bar. and if its got a long control section like you say, it could be perfect!

the fatboy looks to get thicker towards the stem? so i think that option is out which is a shame. its nice and cheap!

some good suggestions tho, cheers guys!
  • Koiler
    hey guys,

i decided against the spank lounge bars in the end, as nice as they are, they were more than i really wanted to spend and i know if id have bought white bars, that would have been the beginning of a never ending quest for white bling...

i went for these in the end http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=12134

cheap and functional, loads of room for controls, good rise, good sweep and nice length and loads lighter than the bars they replaced.

kinda glad i didnt spend more really as the bike must have shifted whilst in my van over the weekend and a load of paint has rubbed off my brand new bars :cry: meh! they still ride nicely though. i dont know whether its the new bars, or whether it was just the fact that chicksands was nice and dry but i seemed to be able to nail berms faster and seemed more stable in the air.

thanks for the help
  • I'm a big fan of Fire Eye stuff. Always found it to be well made, rock solid and great value. Plus they do a lot of stuff in orange, which is a bonus for the tart in me :wink: