Ride by your self ?

13»

Comments

• I must admit I do the same as Mr Brightside, I live alone and often ride alone.
    Part of the whole experience is just going where the fancy takes you.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    i too ride alone 90% of the time.

not much point leaving a route as i tend to change my plans depending on how its going/if i fancy exploring a bit.

I dont really thrash it if i'm alone up in the hills though, its common for me not to see another soul for hours.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Some sort of GPS tracker is useful if you ride alone.

Google Maps Latitude is great, I run it on my blackberry, which logs your location. Should you lose the signal or battery, it at least gives the last known location.

Pretty good should you ride alone.
    Craig Rogers
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Almost exclusively alone. :( Ha nah I dont mind.
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Alone for me always. I enjoy the freedom of doing what I want, going where I want and at my own pace.

Seems that where I live either there's not many off-road riders or they go out at times that I don't because I very rarely see another rider and when I do they always seem to be riding alone.
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's

:lol::lol:
  • phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    Can't really go off road much where I live, Cannock is only 30 miles away but I would probably get lost lol
  • trek3900
    trek3900 Posts: 16
    Ho hum wrote:
    Since starting back on my MTB 3 years ago I have only ever ridden by myself, never with anyone else :o

It's not that I am anti-social, lol, just never found anyone to ride with locally and I do not have a car rack to meet up at places with work colleagues, etc.

hey i am in exact same location and i find the same trouble pretty often gives a shout if you want to go out riding and al meet up with you :)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    phoebian wrote:
    Can't really go off road much where I live, Cannock is only 30 miles away but I would probably get lost lol

Get lost getting there? Or get lost once you're riding? Cannock's very easy to find your way round, the official trails are well signposted.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    Getting there isn't the problem, only been a couple of times and didn't do official trails. Might venture there in the week if it stops bloody raining for couple of days!!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Fair enough, I had the week off a couple of weeks ago, so went and had a bit of an explore which was good. Stayed on the Follow The Dog side, but found a few cheeky trails.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • djcombes
    djcombes Posts: 63
    I haven't bothered to take anything at all when I've been out at night lately. And my other half was asleep when I got back. Maybe a mobile would be a good idea!
  • Mastineo
    Mastineo Posts: 182
    Usually out on my own. Did an audax :oops: last month that starts less than 10 miles from home, managed to take a wrong turn on the way there! Did the audax no problem (150km) then managed to take another different wrong turn on the way home! Ended up adding about 9k to the ride through local detours.

Oddly enough most of my offroad travels have an element of mystery about them.
  • micksjoiner
    micksjoiner Posts: 409
    went down to the 7stanes last summer for 4 days,told my son i was only nipping out to go to tescos,want to have seen his face when i came back with no food
    hates dog walkers
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    well, did my lonesome ride up in the peaks last week, all went well,think the only thing i did different was make sure i had some first aid stuff with me, the only thing to think about really is the phone signal is a bit hit an miss there.I was supprissed by the amount of other folk i saw up there for a week day.
    I'd imagine the riders amoungst us all who like a few more risks are younger with no dependants ? may be
  • not realy im an old man of 41 i was use to trail riding on my motorbike on my own but the lack of lanes here forced me to do more mountain biking , but i do admit being an old man i dont do anything to mad :lol:
  • crrazzzyy
    crrazzzyy Posts: 38
    I do ride alone only when mates cant make it, take most of the gear you guys mention although have most of it in me camel pack all time anyway which ive been critisized about before by ppl but i dont care i know i am self sufficent should ought happen even 2 miles from home !!! Usual kit i have all time even on local loop .....
    2 spare innertubes
    Spare jacket
    Waterproof trousers
    Spare top
    Park tool
    Pump
    Leatherman
    First aid kit + painkillers
    Energy bars
    small bike light
    Map of area + compass
    OVERKILL ?????
  • teacherman
    teacherman Posts: 454
    I do a bit of both and like the different experiences of both. I let the wife know where i'm going and roughly what time I'll be home. I take a first aid kit.

I worry more about riding solo on the North York Moors than I do in the Peak District just because I've ridden all day on the moors and not seen anyone so even though the Peak is more technical, for the most part, the NY Moors feel more isolated.

Like others have said: know your limits and take things a bit easier.

I'll be doing cut gate on my own when I get rid of this Norovirus.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • I often ride on my own, done a fair few miles round Norfolk/Suffolk. I do feel vulnerable sometimes but I'm a big lad and can take care of myself if need be.

The most I leave home with is a mobile phone and a couple of quid for a drink, if I get a puncher it could be a long walk home :P