should i change tyres?

Gears of Law
Gears of Law Posts: 61
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
I bought a second hand marin attack trail and it came with 2.5in dual ply high rollers. Super tacky on front and maxxpro on rear. I find the grip to be pretty impressive in all conditions but they roll very slow and as most of my rides are at trail centres at the moment, i feel they might be overkill.

I have an unused ardent 2.25 in the shed that i could use so would i be best changing to this and another (2.35 high roller or crossmark maybe)??

My tyres are set up as tubeless also. Would this make it more difficult to change them?

Sorry for all the questions...just don't want to lose too much aggression downhills so not sure what to do.

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Try a Minion DHF on the front if your going to get a new tyre. Get the 60a compound and it rolls really well but never lets go no matter how muddy things get. I sould know took it out in the snow n mud on Sunday and it was great and it never lets go on the secrets at glentress adn they get VERY muddy sometimes
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    If you're mostly trail centre riding then yes, a bit overkill imo. If you have the ardent, stick that on the back. Then for the front I'd go for a 2.35 High Roller. You will lose a bit of grip, but I think you'll be surprised at how much you still have. You're rolling resistance will drop dramatically aswell!
  • peter413
    Yes but the minion has much better grip and imho rolls slightly better as well
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    i have a minion f on the back at the moment and im finding it very heavy so im thinking of swapping it over for a specialized eskar
    what are brakes for again
  • peter413
    Maybe your minion is a dual ply or maybe it is a super tacky.

Maybe try the maxxis aspen if you want a very light and grippy tyre
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    A pair of light tyres is one of the easiest and cheapest ways of losing 200g of unsprung weight.
  • peter413
    But remember that if you get really lightweight tyres then you can puncture much easier and run a larger risk of ripping the tyre sidewall
  • kangaroo
    nope my minion is the single ply lust version so thats 62a i think
  • peter413
    only the high roller is available as a LUST though isn't it, of the dh/fr tyres anyway.

Also the hardest compound you can get the high roller or minion in is the maxxpro 60a unless you get the xc version of the high roller
  • kangaroo
    sorry yes you are right, its my ignitor thats a lust, the minion is a standard f one sitll around the 60a mark though
  • peter413
    maybe try running the other way around then?

Don't mean to sound patronising but I love my minion and can't think why it doesn't roll nicely unless ur on realy sticky grond in which case no tyre would roll well
  • kangaroo
    i didnt mean it doesnt roll nice, i mean its a bit heavy
  • peter413
    It only weighs about 700g.
    Thats a lot lighter than a lot of other tyres. Go much lighter and you will pinch flat all the time. I should know I used to run panaracer fire xc and pinched them every other week :shock:
  • kangaroo
    the weight listed on chain reaction cycles is
    Weight: 870g
    though that is lighter than i thought it was
  • peter413
    the lightest xc tire you can get is about 300g so it doesn't weigh much at all. Maybe your rim is really heavy?
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    peter413 Clearly you like your minion, and fair enough if it works for you. However having ridden both a high roller and a minion (and no it wasn't super tacky or double ply) the high roller rolls a lot better and is lighter for better acceleration. Plus apart from when really going for it downhill, I didn't notice much difference in traction performace.
  • peter413
    Airienteer yes I love my minion but I love my High Roller as well. I am just saying in my honest opinion that the minion rolls slightly better and also grips better. I am not biast towards either for on my bike because I run a minion on the front and a high roller on the back.[/b]