Cleaning Tyres

paulieb2006
paulieb2006 Posts: 318
edited March 2010 in Workshop
Has anybody any idea what to use to clean tyre. I have a set of Pro 3 Race on my Felt f4. They are red, but they look sh*t. They have gone a really grimmy red/grey couour. Saw some tyre cleaner in a shop earlier today but it said not to use on bicycle tyres.
Any ideas please

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    Elbow grease.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    In the washing machine. 30 or 40 deg wash (not with whites!) and no spin. They'll come out quite well.
    M.Rushton
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Muc Off / Fenwicks FS-10
  • paulieb2006
    paulieb2006 Posts: 318
    mrushton wrote:
    In the washing machine. 30 or 40 deg wash (not with whites!) and no spin. They'll come out quite well.

Washing machine. Really!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited March 2010
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    mrushton wrote:

Washing machine. Really!

Someone I know used to wash his Vittoria Bartoli tyres in the machine and they came out a treat. Mty pale blue ProRace 2 also looked excellent afterwards
    M.Rushton
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    mrushton wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

Washing machine. Really!

Someone I know used to wash his Vittoria Bartoli tyres in the machine and they came out a treat. Mty pale blue ProRace 2 also looked excellent afterwards

Plus they end up extra sticky...

ooops, that's climbing shoes...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Baby wipes do it for me. Always cleans the tyre and brings the colour back on my ProRace 2/3s ....
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Hot soapy water and a sponge/souring pad, alternatively someone on here mentioned CIF in the past. Just be glad they are red and not white (cream :( )
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for babywipes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'd keep Muc-Off off my tyres - seems to cause them to harden and crack - soap and a scrubbing brush should be sufficient. Life's too short to consider putting them in the washing machine - unless of course I bought another machine solely for this purpose!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    kfinlay wrote:
    Hot soapy water and a sponge/souring pad, alternatively someone on here mentioned CIF in the past. Just be glad they are red and not white (cream :( )

I put my white Pro 3's in washing machine and they came out spotless and :D bright white