DT Swiss Suspension Forks – Any Experiences ???

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
My new frame has just arrived, a Trek 8500, very, very happy :D

Obviously one of the first thing I need to buy is a set of forks :roll:

I was really set on Fox; something like the 32’s 100mm travel. I like the feel of Fox, however, I have been advised (by a number of people) not to go for Fox, unless you like to practise your servicing skills on a regular basis !

Obviously that leaves me with the oh so popular ‘What fork to go for’ :?:

I have gone through the hundred plus back catalogue of ‘which forks should I buy’ threads, but cannot (easily) find any thoughts on DT Swiss.

A friend uses the Rock Shox Reba Race, and really likes them. I think this would be a fairly safe bet, but I also wanted to look at any alternatives.

The DT Swiss forks do seem to come with a fairly healthy price tag, is this to put you off, or are they worth the extra ?

Thanks in advance… :wink:

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'd recommend Rebas or SIDs. Some of the DT prices are mad, but if you've got the money and want something a bit more unique then why not. No idea what the performance is like though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    id go for a set of rebas, a mate has had 2 pairs, teams and world cups and loves them, and i love my revelations. merlin have the top of the range xx rebas on special offer atm for £399 :shock:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/marzocchi ... ba-xx.html
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I have Fox f100RLC (2009)...only had them serviced once in a year - rest of the time I just clean them...admittedly it was £99 for a service, but I did get a load of new parts under warranty. they are good forks, very smooth but I do occasionally get a problem with the bushes moving, which feels a bit like a loose headset. Not sure if I can recommend fully because of this. However when I was buying them I originally wanted DT Swiss but the guy in my LBS steered me away from them for needing a lot of TLC - saying the foxs were "fit and forget" (he's able to stock both so wasn't going for a sale, plus I trust him).
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    from what i hear DT performance is second to none.... but the price tag matches...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    I have a set of Pace RC39 c-type 100mm forks (same as the XRC 100) and they are honestly the best forks I've ever had. I've got Fox F100 RLC's on my Anthem and I've got a set of Reba WC's on my Yeti and neither come close.

I had one minor problem with the lockout on them but was down to mud in the lockout cable.

Light, stiff and very smooth. If you can afford to do it, I'd fully recommend it.
  • Levi_501
    from what i hear DT performance is second to none.... but the price tag matches...

That was my sneaky thoughts.

Thanks for your inputs guys, I think (at least in the short terms) it will be the Rebas.

Link to frame
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12684154
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    yer xx rebas would look ace on that 8)
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Check out Chain reaction - I think all 2009 DT Swiss forks are on sale.

I picked up my EXC 150's for less than half price. :D
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I have the DT Swiss EXC 150's on my Pace, IMO probably the best set of forks i've owned, mine have been more or less fit and forgett appart from some oil on the wiper seals.

They are just over a year old now and due a service. Looking at about £80 for a service.

They are flippin pricey, I got a couple of hundred quid off mine, if you can get them in a sale as mentioned above get them, I would say you won't be dissapointed.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Levi_501
    Took the plunge, went for DT Swiss forks.

They have launch control 8)
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    They have launch control 8)
    No more wheel spin. :wink:
  • DT are supposed to be absolutely top notch forks. I was going to get a set of the EXC150 for the 456 but they only come in QR or 15mm and I needed 20mm.

CRC had a load of them on special offer a week or so ago, bringing them down to something like a reasonable price is this where you got yours from?
  • Levi_501
    Yes, good 'ole CRC.

The XMC 130-15 at £400 from £859, so bit of a bargain.

Obviously, kinda buying the blind, but after reading the DT Swiss bumpf on their website and product data sheet, I think they should be well suited.

I also ordered up a Hope semi intergrated headset.

I will let you know how I get on.

Just wished they had anti lag, rather than launch control :wink: