Looking for a road bike Specialized secteur?

pdennis30
pdennis30 Posts: 3
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
Hi I am new to biking I have a Specialized Rockhopper disc that I have been commuting on as well as doing some off road with, I am able to get a bike through the cycle to work scheme although it has to be through wheelies.co.uk.
I intend to do a London to Paris this year hopefully working up to some longer rides next year, I would need to fit a rack as I intend to carry my own gear and do the trips unsupported, but I would use the bike mainly with out the rack fitted, Can anyone suggest a bike , Looking at the Specialized secteur it looks as though it could be ideal ,can anyone confirm that I can fit a rack to it, Looking at the models in the range would be the best one for a beginner I dont really want to spend more than £800 but I am getting the best gear sets or should I spend that little bit more.
Any help would be gratefull.
Paul

Comments

• I would also like some advice on which type of pedals to get,as it seems all to confusing and there seems to be so many different types, I would like some clipless ones that would fit my mountain bike and road bike when I get it, it would save me from having to get 2 pairs of shoes?

Thanks again
  • hilza
    hilza Posts: 43
    I have the A1 Secteur, and was told in the shop it can take a rack easily.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would like some clipless ones that would fit my mountain bike and road bike when I get it, it would save me from having to get 2 pairs of shoes?

Hello there, I also have a Secteur and a hybrid and, at one time, ran this combo on both:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... s-ec005948

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec019810

I now have flat pedals on the hybrid but only for convenience (and I often swap back).

I would search around for a deal on the M520s as they really are a stock item and a bargain can be had online. My advice would be to make sure you wind the locking mech right out until you are used to clipless, and then tighten up a bit when your confidence grows.

I am not sure about the rack query but Hilza seems to have covered that off.

I like the Secteur, btw. I find it comfortable and fast. However, same advice as usual I guess, find a shop that has one and get them to let you spin around the block to see what you think. Might also be worth looking at a few other bikes, etc., while you are there. It may not affect your decision but at least you won't walk into bike shops in the future wondering if you chose wisely...