new stem

M6TTF
M6TTF Posts: 602
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of swapping out for a slightly shorter stem on my Trek fuel ex - as I get tired my shoulders start dropping and I find myself feeling a little over stretched so thought I'd try 10mm shorter.

Dont want to spend a fortune, but want something at least on a par with the stock bontrager one on it.

any recommendations?

Comments

• M6TTF
    Oh and is 10mm going to feel noticably different or should I go 20mm?
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    whats your current length stem?

on my old bike the stem was 75mm, on the new bike it's 60mm. i notied quite abit of differance
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    How new is the bike? Your Trek dealer may swap it for a shorter one if it's relatively new.
  • M6TTF
    Sorry, forgot to say, it measures 100mm from centre of cap to cenre of bar clamp. Bike shop did offer swAP service when I bought it - it's only now I'm riding more I'm noticing it
  • bannedbiker
    bannedbiker Posts: 382
    M6TTF wrote:
    Sorry, forgot to say, it measures 100mm from centre of cap to cenre of bar clamp. Bike shop did offer swAP service when I bought it - it's only now I'm riding more I'm noticing it

I did the same thing on my Reign, didn't wanna buy anything expensive in case i hated how it rode! I bought a DMR Con-Rod (oddly it was going spare, but I sold it last week when I cleared my shed out!).
    I went for 60mm with a 7degree rise, they're less than £20 most places.
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Did this myself recently, went from 105mm stem down to 90mm stem - have noticed quite a bit of difference, but thinking of going shorter now!

This being the case as I thought, I didn't want to spend silly money on a stem when I wasn't sure how it was going to suit me. Managed to pick one up cheaply on STW classifieds. Maybe an option for you? Pick one up cheaply on eBay/Classifieds?
  • M6TTF
    cheers for the feedback fellas - can't decide whether to go to 90mm or 80mm with the same rise though - would 10mm be a noticeable difference?
  • bannedbiker
    M6TTF wrote:
    cheers for the feedback fellas - can't decide whether to go to 90mm or 80mm with the same rise though - would 10mm be a noticeable difference?

Go for either 80mm or 75mm. I doubt you'll notice a 10mm difference that much.
  • HardrockRob
    HardrockRob Posts: 230
    +1

I went from 105 to 90. Noticeable, but I then went down to 70mm and that was spot on.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It varies for all of us - and depends on the bike. I run 100mm and 80mm stems.

You can pick up good 80mm stems for 15 quid.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    I went from 100 to 60, and it's great- no worse for climbing, far better for jumps and dh etc.
    I would go for a 70-80mm stem if i was you, but i'm not sure what stem.
  • bannedbiker
    I went from 100 to 60, and it's great- no worse for climbing, far better for jumps and dh etc.

Cheap to begin with, then nice once you've found the right length! Thats why I did DMR Con-Rod, then bought my Raceface!
  • bannedbiker

Cheap to begin with, then nice once you've found the right length! Thats why I did DMR Con-Rod, then bought my Raceface!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If you want a cheap short stem then the BeOne 60mm stem is only £14 at chain reaction cycles:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38640

It says its a dh stem but its pretty light and really stiff :lol:
  • lurpak
    lurpak Posts: 78
    guys, i.m having the reverse problem! I replaced the stem to a longer one to try and stretch out the bike, however i have found that the bike is now a bit twitchy, I'm now trying to buy a shorter stem again, however having changed the handlebars at the same time to non-oversized ones i am finding it hard to get a stem in the length and degree rise. Original stem was 75mm and 7 degree. Any recommendations? Would less or more rise make any difference?
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    lurpak wrote:
    guys, i.m having the reverse problem! I replaced the stem to a longer one to try and stretch out the bike, however i have found that the bike is now a bit twitchy, I'm now trying to buy a shorter stem again, however having changed the handlebars at the same time to non-oversized ones i am finding it hard to get a stem in the length and degree rise. Original stem was 75mm and 7 degree. Any recommendations? Would less or more rise make any difference?

You could try flipping your current stem in order to give less rise and see how it feels, if it ends up too low put a couple of spacers under it.

I know what you mean though 25.4 stems are starting to get a bit thin on the ground.

What length/rise is your current stem?
  • lurpak
    lurpak Posts: 78
    think it is a 120mm and about a 7 degree rise. I think it is a race face evolve stem. I am looking at going back to something closer to the orignal length.

Having also changed the bars at same time is it possible that the wider bars could be causing some problems?
  • supersonic
    The wider bars will change the feel, yes.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    lurpak wrote:
    think it is a 120mm and about a 7 degree rise. I think it is a race face evolve stem. I am looking at going back to something closer to the orignal length.

Having also changed the bars at same time is it possible that the wider bars could be causing some problems?

If you think about it a 120mm 7 degree rise stem is going to give you more rise than a 75mm 7 degree stem due to the length. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I would try flipping it first, its not like its going to cost you anything.

Then if it still doesn't feel right, look at going shorter.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    peter413 wrote:
    If you want a cheap short stem then the BeOne 60mm stem is only £14 at chain reaction cycles:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38640

It says its a dh stem but its pretty light and really stiff :lol:

Its says that its discontinued :(
  • supersonic
    Look at Exotic Carbon for cheap stems like the Meta.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Changed the 110mm Bontrager stem on my Hifi to a 70mm Bontrager and it made all the difference.
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0