£1000 Hardtail on the Cyclescheme

mash73
mash73 Posts: 4
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm sure this question has been asked many times.

I am about to buy a hardtail through cyclesheme. I was initially thinking of buying the Boardman Pro as a result of the numerous positive reviews. Unfortunately I hadn't quite appreciated the subtle differences between the different types of cycle to work schemes until I approached Halfords for the quote.

My employer uses Cyclescheme as opposed to Halfords Cycle2Work scheme.

My plan b was the Cube Ltd Race. However I'm now struggling to find a dealer who still has any Ltd Races left and is also a partner of Cyclescheme. I am now considering plan c!

I would be extremely grateful for any advice/recommendations in relation to hardtails in the £1000 price range. Cavaet is that it would have to be a bike that a can buy from a dealer online who is a partner of cyclescheme.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• djames77
    djames77 Posts: 164
    mash73 wrote:
    I'm sure this question has been asked many times.

I am about to buy a hardtail through cyclesheme. I was initially thinking of buying the Boardman Pro as a result of the numerous positive reviews. Unfortunately I hadn't quite appreciated the subtle differences between the different types of cycle to work schemes until I approached Halfords for the quote.

My employer uses Cyclescheme as opposed to Halfords Cycle2Work scheme.

My plan b was the Cube Ltd Race. However I'm now struggling to find a dealer who still has any Ltd Races left and is also a partner of Cyclescheme. I am now considering plan c!

I would be extremely grateful for any advice/recommendations in relation to hardtails in the £1000 price range. Cavaet is that it would have to be a bike that a can buy from a dealer online who is a partner of cyclescheme.

Many thanks in advance.

Why does it need to be purchased online? Where do you live? I only ask as the cyclescheme is run by just about every bike shop in my area.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Trek 6700 (just about).

I use the 6700 as commuter and the Geometry is lovely, very comfortable and climbs really well.
  • djames77 wrote:
    Why does it need to be purchased online? Where do you live? I only ask as the cyclescheme is run by just about every bike shop in my area.

Unfortunately I don't drive. I've checked out all of my local stores signed up to cyclescheme but have been unable to find a bike I'd like.
  • djames77
    djames77 Posts: 164
    mash73 wrote:
    djames77 wrote:

Unfortunately I don't drive. I've checked out all of my local stores signed up to cyclescheme but have been unable to find a bike I'd like.

Where do you live? Most LBS in my area would be happy to do a deal over the phone and post the bike to you. More importantly, you really need to try the the bike for size before you buy.
  • hi

I have a Trek hardtail, an older one mind you but its lovely to ride and I've tried the 6700 too. Thats a nice bike, the trek frames are really comfy to ride on and the geometry is spot on. I'm getting a new hardtail on the same scheme in April/ May hopefully and Trek or Specialized Rockhopper Pro are the two I've narrowed it down to.

The Boardman has had some great reviews, though I can't help wonder how many are sponsored by Halfords? Some nice kit it though undeniably. Try before you buy is really the only way.
  • The Boardman has had some great reviews, though I can't help wonder how many are sponsored by Halfords?

Too many good reviews to be a conspiracy.

Could try:

Whyte 901 (Can't buy online)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (Can't buy online)
    One of the Rockhoppers
    Genesis Core

Restricting yourself to online only rules out lots of bikes: Marin, Trek, Gary Fisher, Whyte etc and means you won't be able to try for size. This, along with your other restrictions, limits your choices a bit. Can't you get someone to give you a lift to a shop? Get the train?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The Boardman has had some great reviews, though I can't help wonder how many are sponsored by Halfords? Some

That's a bit silly. Why would they not be good?

I doubt 'decent' mags would risk losing all credibility by making up a hugely positive review.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Im thinking of ordering this bad boy.
    Chris Boardman Limited Edition Mountain Bike 20"
  • deebizzle
    deebizzle Posts: 46
    Got a Rockhopper Pro a couple of years ago and simply love it - I can't see any weakness with it for that price. Great components, super fast on the trails, responsive, well-made and light enough to be an efficent commuter too if you need it to be.

If you want something just to go crazy for the trails - I'd be tempted by an Orange Crush as well (although I think this is just over the 1k mark).
  • mash73
    mash73 Posts: 4
    Thanks for all of your comments.

Planning to check out the Trek 6700 and Rockhopper SL Pro. I've found a local store that does both so rather than buy online I plan to pop over at the weekend so I can take each for a spin.

Thanks again.
  • wicked2627
    wicked2627 Posts: 122
    Seb Spiers wrote:
    Im thinking of ordering this bad boy.

I have this and the spec is amazing for £1000. Just add up the cost of the fork, brakes and gearing system and you'll get an idea. Then include the rest of the components and it's amazing that they make much of a profit. I imagine its because they sell so many and all the components are from the SRAM group.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
    Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
    Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
    Charge Mixer
  • wicked2627
    wicked2627 Posts: 122
    Seb Spiers wrote:
    Im thinking of ordering this bad boy.

I have this and the spec is amazing for £1000. Just add up the cost of the fork, brakes and gearing system and you'll get an idea. Then include the rest of the components and it's amazing that they make much of a profit. I imagine its because they sell so many and all the components are from the SRAM group.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro Expert 2020
    Boardman HT Pro Ltd Ed MTB
    Boardman Pro Carbon Road Bike (Turbo Trainer)
    Charge Mixer
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, the Boardman range are very good. Plus even if you don't like it for some reason, you could throw the frame away and rebuild it round a Scandal or something and it'll make a stunning donor bike. But the chances of that are slim, they're damn good.
    Uncompromising extremist