Must be the pedals then!

jaybo1973
jaybo1973 Posts: 301
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

Gave the AM40s a good ride out today and they are very comfy, support my feet well and are very stiff. They dont stay on my pedals as well as expected though so still been using my toe clips.

My pedals are the standard ones that came with the bike (Wellgo LU-A9, I think +Toe clips and straps) Are these true flats? Because there is the raised row of teeth at the front and back of the pedals, this is the only area of the pedal the shoes sit on. Without surface are, the shoes cannot grip on. Should I be getting new pedals?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Wellgo V8 copies or MG-1s are normally recommended as decent flats. Though the ones you've got are 'proper' flats, they may not be great. I've got the MG-1s and have to lift my foot right off the pedal to move it, they're that grippy.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    mg1 = shin shredder

great pedals
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Hey, old school :lol: There's grip there but nothing like as much as a proper spiked offroad pedal like an MG1 or similiar. Still you should be able to keep your footing with those and a pair of AM40s tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Looks like there is plenty to choose from on CRC:) Funky colours too. Nah, mine are s**t. I was gutted when I first got on my bike today, hopefully new pedals will sort this
  • Tbh that kinda style of flat pedal is a bit crap. Go for V8's or MG1's anyday over those. Plus toe clips are quite frankly dangerous offroad.
  • Those Wellgo V8 look awesome for £12. Reviews on CRC rave about them. Its worth a shot for the price, pity you cant get orange to go with the 2007 cinder cone or green to go with the AM40 . What is the differernce between those and V12?
  • V12's have cartridge bearings.
  • Sorted :) Gone for white. Hope I can get a regular spanner in, dont want to fork out for a pedal wrench
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    15mm spanner will do the job if I remember correctly! :)
  • jaybo1973
    hoochylala wrote:
    15mm spanner will do the job if I remember correctly! :)

Yeah nice one. I see you have put a link up to a sherwood pines site. I am local to the pines :)
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    the size 46 fitted better than the 45?
  • jaybo1973
    bobpzero wrote:
    the size 46 fitted better than the 45?

They did indeed mate :) Really comfy fit. Sent 45 back today. Just want my pedals now
  • jaybo1973
    OK wellgo V8s fitted. look pretty good for 12 quid. Do I need to grease the bearings before I use them? I have heard something about this. If so how?

By law, do I have to leave those lame reflectors on?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Dunno about greasing them up. My dad didn't though and they are still fine after a few months.

Regarding the reflectors you may as well take them out. They will come out on their own sometime, on the ones my dad has they came out without any effort and if anyone asks just say they fell out lol :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    take the reflectors out, they look naff ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5