Cadence sensor

PhillipW
PhillipW Posts: 14
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
I am new to road cycling and have just purchased a garmin edge 500, good you please explain cadence and do I need to purchase a cadence sensor. Many thanks

Comments

• Hi, Cadence is the rate at which you spin the wheels, regardless of which gear you are in. Typically measured in rpm.

Depending upon the spec of Garmin 500 you bought, it may have come with a cadence sensor. It fits on your pedal and is 'read' everytime it passes the Edge unit you have fitted on to your chain stay. If you don't have it, I think you will need to buy one. Good luck.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Hi, Cadence is the rate at which you spin the wheels, regardless of which gear you are in. Typically measured in rpm.

Depending upon the spec of Garmin 500 you bought, it may have come with a cadence sensor. It fits on your pedal and is 'read' everytime it passes the Edge unit you have fitted on to your chain stay. If you don't have it, I think you will need to buy one. Good luck.

Probably a typo, but it's the rate you spin your pedals not the wheels. The magnet on the rear wheel calculates the speed by RPM of the wheel (if indoors and not using GPS).
  • Yep a typo....you are right....doh!;-)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    PhillipW wrote:
    I am new to road cycling and have just purchased a garmin edge 500, good you please explain cadence and do I need to purchase a cadence sensor. Many thanks

Cadence isn't particularly useful IMO, but if you plan to use your edge for indoor rides on a turbo or rollers then having the Garmin GSC-10 cadence/speed sensor is essential.
    More problems but still living....
  • It was a typo but thanks for your help, am of to by one on Monday. Many thanks