cyclist killed near margate 22nd Feb

wyadvd
wyadvd Posts: 590
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
google news : manston cyclist killed

Lorry kills 20 YEAR old cyclist.

Lights? Hi viz? Competant cyclist? Who knows. Just a failed overtaking manouvre by a seven and a half tonner at six am.

But i want to find out......how do i? Does anyone know?

I'm Suffering a real personal confidence crisis from not knowing how this poor guy died. Would i have survived if it was me on that road at six am? As i might have been !!

Gulp.

A very gung ho cycling doctor friend of mine cycles that road every day at that sort of time and he has diverted round the accident. He hasnt been in the saddle since.......

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You could have all the experience/lights in the world but accidents happen, planes crash and yes it sucks like a lemon.

Unlike cars we don't have panels to dent.

Ride safe, wear bright clothing and cross your fingers.
  • +1

I have one of those, He's called Harry Wilmers, I never knew him but my wife saw him under the truck as she got to work, a road I've used for years

I have to ride a couple of other routes where I know people have died, I drive & ride the woodhead pass regularly where one of my friends was killed on his motorbike by an overtaking car, but I've ridden and driven those roads hundreds of times without problem so I can rationalise the dangers whilst still thinking of them. the day the fear outweighs the fun is the day I'll stop doing it but for now I enjoy riding my bike and will do everything I can to make myself safe and visible and trust it will be as successful next ride as it was for the last one.

you've got a choice to tough it out and think of all the safe rides you've had, or find a different route or give in to the fear and never set foot on pedal again. but watch out for the speeding car when you're next crossing the road, hope that there's not a bit of debris on the runway when you next fly, hope that that little niggling pain isn't the start of a tumour, don't use a mobile phone in case the radiation really is frying your brain, never go out to the pub on a Friday night in case you end up in a scrap with a drunk and get glassed or a random punch sees you die with your skull split on the kerb, avoid trains because they crash and scrotes lob rocks at them (the sound of a window shattering at 100+ scares the living doodah out of you and you brace for impact - been there ruined the kex). be sure to call in a handyman to change a lightbulb in case you fall off the chair/ladder/piggyback.

and so on for any of the hundreds of ways that life can decide it's your turn to check out when you roll out of bed in a morning.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    +1

I have one of those, He's called Harry Wilmers, I never knew him but my wife saw him under the truck as she got to work, a road I've used for years

I have to ride a couple of other routes where I know people have died, I drive & ride the woodhead pass regularly where one of my friends was killed on his motorbike by an overtaking car, but I've ridden and driven those roads hundreds of times without problem so I can rationalise the dangers whilst still thinking of them. the day the fear outweighs the fun is the day I'll stop doing it but for now I enjoy riding my bike and will do everything I can to make myself safe and visible and trust it will be as successful next ride as it was for the last one.

you've got a choice to tough it out and think of all the safe rides you've had, or find a different route or give in to the fear and never set foot on pedal again. but watch out for the speeding car when you're next crossing the road, hope that there's not a bit of debris on the runway when you next fly, hope that that little niggling pain isn't the start of a tumour, don't use a mobile phone in case the radiation really is frying your brain, never go out to the pub on a Friday night in case you end up in a scrap with a drunk and get glassed or a random punch sees you die with your skull split on the kerb, avoid trains because they crash and scrotes lob rocks at them (the sound of a window shattering at 100+ scares the living doodah out of you and you brace for impact - been there ruined the kex). be sure to call in a handyman to change a lightbulb in case you fall off the chair/ladder/piggyback.

and so on for any of the hundreds of ways that life can decide it's your turn to check out when you roll out of bed in a morning.

I think you are overdoing it a little with the lightbulbs....

Of course not good. Road cycling can well be said to be more dangerous than mountain biking...
  • wyadvd
    as a matter of fact i work in an a and e department. I see all of the above. The greatest risk to death imo is the falling of chair/laddder attempting diy. Seem many more people struggling for life in resus from this sort of trauma than any cyclists. However lightbulb changing is a much more popular passtime than cycling so maybe not!
  • wyadvd
    added to which i suppose resus is littered with probably 20 OR 30 FOLKS with a near fatal heart attacks for every one trauma. No excercise in forty years did that so.....there you go
  • wyadvd
    anyway, this makes me feel a little bit better:
    http://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2014.pdf
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    wyadvd wrote:

This bears repeating:
    The following are key points:
    • Pedestrians bear a higher fatality rate than cyclists,
    by a factor of almost 1.5;
    • Cycling in Britain is safer than driving in many
    other countries, including France and Belgium;
    • Cycling is far safer than driving anywhere when
    the health benefits and reduced risk to third
    parties are included;
    • Cycling gets safer as it gets more popular;
    • There is no known example in recent decades
    when an increase in cycling led to an increase
    in cyclist deaths.
  • wyadvd
    just read the local papers..... bad luck or what....the poor guy was about 10 pedal strokes from hIs 'fInal destInatIon' when he was hIt. He actually worked at the charles laboroatorIes.... he had been workIng there sInce he left school.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    wyadvd wrote:
    google news : manston cyclist killed

Lorry kills 20 YEAR old cyclist.

Lights? Hi viz? Competant cyclist? Who knows. Just a failed overtaking manouvre by a seven and a half tonner at six am.

But i want to find out......how do i? Does anyone know?

I'm Suffering a real personal confidence crisis from not knowing how this poor guy died. Would i have survived if it was me on that road at six am? As i might have been !!

Gulp.

A very gung ho cycling doctor friend of mine cycles that road every day at that sort of time and he has diverted round the accident. He hasnt been in the saddle since.......

You attend the inquest when it takes place in 12 months or so time
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Suggestion, if you ever have a need to travel to Inverness, never ever ever read the P&J or Dundee Courier, it will scare the crap out of you.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    jimmypippa wrote:
    wyadvd wrote:

This bears repeating:
    parties are included;
    in cyclist deaths.

Is the 1.5 times taking the numbers of cyclists vs pedestrians into account?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Valy wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:
    wyadvd wrote:

This bears repeating:
    parties are included;
    in cyclist deaths.

Is the 1.5 times taking the numbers of cyclists vs pedestrians into account?

That is per person-kilometer, so yes