Super slick, super light tyres.

missmarple
missmarple Posts: 1,980
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Bello!

Forgive my ignorance chaps but does anyone know of any 'wicked' slick tyres that are as light as possible for dry, warm Summer use?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    small block 8 by kenda perhaps?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    on what surface?

what width?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • missmarple
    nicklouse wrote:
    on what surface?

what width?

Well I'll be using them instead of my Maxxis Monorails for the L2B this year, and I have no idea which width I'd like to get, perhaps 1.5-1.9? Which ever is best, as far as this area of bikes are concerned I'm an absolute spack so I appreciate your help chaps. :P
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    I quite like the Rocket Rons, there an intermediate tyre so you wont be perpetually changing them, but they don't half roll well..

Nick
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • missmarple
    Dr S wrote:
    I quite like the Rocket Rons, there an intermediate tyre so you wont be perpetually changing them, but they don't half roll well..

Nick

Cheers Nick, I'll look into those. Anyone else got any cheaper suggestions?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i used to have some 1.9 maxxis ignitors which were super quick and uber light, but loked like road tyres!! they were so small
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Small blocks aren't all that light, they're fast and extreeeeemely grippy in the dry though. What I like is that they don't sacrifice size for speed, in fact the 2.35 on some terrain is faster than the 2.1, just a wee bit heavier. Great tyres...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • missmarple
    Crikey expensive!

What about this instead? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24629

Some of your suggestions have got me thinking, am I being overly paranoid - as my Monorails are more Summerish than Winterish - they'd be alright do you reckon?

31264.jpg
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    are you using the monorails front and rear?

maybe just a semi slick style tyre just on the back wheel and leave it at that.
    Fancy a brew?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Is this for riding on the road?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • missmarple
    bails87 wrote:

Indeed.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    straight Schwalbe Marathon will do you. If you wanted to splurge get the Plus version.
  • bails87
    BMW 335d wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Indeed.

Then I don't know why people are recommending anything with a tread, the slicker the better. I've got these on my 'old' bike. Massive difference to 'proper' tyres.
    MTB/CX

• blister pus
    because theirs roads and roads, straight slicks like that are fine for decent surfaced roads and tarmac, put them anywhere near where I go and they'd be chewed up and spat out in 3 days. Something like the Marathons are a good compromise.
  • bails87
    blister pus
    Yeah, I meant things like the monorails and SB8s, or even the High Roller SSs.
    MTB/CX

• blister pus
    tell you what is annoying is of you buy slicks and decide you want to fit a bit of off road in after you've fitted them. :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    bails87 wrote:
    Then I don't know why people are recommending anything with a tread, the slicker the better.

Because it didn't sound like he wants road tyres :?
    Uncompromising extremist