Ribble Scuro RS Shimano Dura Ace

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
The current C+ bike test has thrown up some interesting debate, especially with regard to the new PX frame.

One bike that has taken my attention is the Ribble Scuro RS Shimano Dura Ace.

It looks like a cracking bike at a good price for FULL Dura Ace.

The one thing that concerns me it the Integrated Seat Post.

Now stupid question time but how do these actually work?

Do you just buy the frame size that suits your size and you have to put up with the height of seat post or do you cut it to size???

Also do any rear lights actually fit these type of seat post??

Comments

• sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    You have to cut the seatpost to size. This can be a problem for various reasons:

1) If you cut the post to suit a 'thin' saddle' then you swap it for a deeper one you will 'gain' height.

2)If you come to sell the bike you could struggle finding a buyer.

3) The seatpost comes with a cap which attaches under the saddle rails-this goes over the seapost and clamps onto it. There is a slight adjustment available as this cap slides up and down on the seatpost very slightly but ideally you want the cap sitting flush against its internal stop rather than floating a few mmm above the seatpost.
    If you know what I mean...

By the way- YOU cut the seatpost-they won't do it for you- so I was told when I last visited them.Understandable really.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    NWL, agree, I bought C+ today and the Scuro sounds excellent vfm as well as a real whippet of a bike. I guess if in you're in any doubt you'd need to cut the seatpost a little on the high side then 'salami slice' it down until you're happy. Not sure I fancy doing that myselt mind :shock:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Actually just been on the Ribble website bike builder :) Looks like the little brother of the RS, the Scuro HCR does not have an integrated post and is not vastly different from the RS frame (t700 rather than t800 carbon fibre and +50g).

Probably a price worth paying if you're not comfortable with cutting your own bike with a hacksaw....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Actually just been on the Ribble website bike builder Looks like the little brother of the RS, the Scuro HCR does not have an integrated post and is not vastly different from the RS frame (t700 rather than t800 carbon fibre and +50g).

Probably a price worth paying if you're not comfortable with cutting your own bike with a hacksaw....

This is the outgoing model.
    They only have 54cm size left.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Stevo 666 wrote:

That thought leaves me filled with nightmares.

The Nero RC may be another option :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    sturmey wrote:
    This is the outgoing model.
    They only have 54cm size left.
    :(
  • Stevo_666
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

That thought leaves me filled with nightmares.

The Nero RC may be another option :wink:
    Yep, definitely worth a look 8) . I'm currently weighing up bikes from the usual good value suspects (Ribble, PX & Boardman) - decisions decisions....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    CAAD9
  • Stevo_666
    NapoleonD wrote:
    CAAD9
    I'm open to suggestions, thanks. Any particular reason(s) for your tip?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    NapoleonD wrote:
    CAAD9

+1
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Stevo_666
    NapoleonD wrote:
    CAAD9

+1
    Reasons?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    CAAD9

+1
    Reasons?

Try one and see...

They ride and handle amazingly well. They are comfortable but stiff. They look brilliant. They are fairly light.

I was umming and aaahing between a CAAD9 and the Cervelo S2 I ended up with, it's that good...
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks - interesting that an Alu bike is getting tipped when carbon bikes can be had for the same price! I also have to give extra marks for the fact that you don't actually own one....

Mind you, that Cervelo S2 looks pretty cool 8) - which version did you go for?