Brake Upgrades - Avid 3's

djames77
djames77 Posts: 164
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys and Gals

I recent bought a Spesh Rockhopper SL Comp and have now decided i need a bit more stopping power.

I am happy with the brakes generally so don't really want to have to shell out for a whole new set up. However, I wondered if my stopping power would increase much if i bought bigger rotors? Also is it possible to fit larger rotors to this bike? Any other suggestions to increase braking power would be appreciated.

Thanks

D

Comments

• al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Takes up to 210mm rotor.
    I read somewhere that increasing the rotor size will increase stopping power about 20% for each incriment, ie; going from 160mm to 183mm will give you a 20% increase. This will far outway a brake upgrade although you may find that upgrading brings you more feel and adjustment. :?
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Try different pads too.
  • djames77
    Thanks for the replies

so, next question - which rotors should I get? I'm not sure what's compatable with the juicey 3's? Also, are they easy to fit yourself or should I got to the lbs? I don't really want to spend more than 80 - 100 for two (front and back) suggestions please!

Thanks

d
  • I'd stick with Avid brand rotors.

Don't forget you'll need the correct bracket/mount for the size of rotor.

For £135 to £200 you can pick yourself up a set of some formulas or 1 of the Elixir range as you'll still have the same flimsy juicy levers.

Oh - it's easy 1-2*. 6 Bolts with a torx head or CL with a cassette or HT2 BB tool. 5mm allen to do the other bolts. Enure you have the correct fitting brackets tho.
  • djames77 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies

so, next question - which rotors should I get? I'm not sure what's compatable with the juicey 3's? Also, are they easy to fit yourself or should I got to the lbs? I don't really want to spend more than 80 - 100 for two (front and back) suggestions please!

Thanks

d

Buy rotors from Superstar. I got them for my 3's and they've been great. Think they cost about £17 for a 203mm rotor, as opposed to about £35 for an Avid rotor! You still need the Avid adaptors, but you can get these for around £7 each. In total, if you're doing front & back, you're looking at less than £50 for the full upgrade. Esy to do yourself too - I'm no techie and I managed it! :D
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • djames77
    thanks guys

Like the sound of Superstar products, do you have a pic of what they look like though? - the website says image due soon! Also a lot of bikes seem to come with smaller rotors on the back, is that best? Could i go for 203mm front and back?

I might need to start another thread to ask this but are the superstar pedals any good? If i do go for the rotors i might get the pedals too!
  • djames77 wrote:
    thanks guys

Like the sound of Superstar products, do you have a pic of what they look like though? - the website says image due soon! Also a lot of bikes seem to come with smaller rotors on the back, is that best? Could i go for 203mm front and back?

I might need to start another thread to ask this but are the superstar pedals any good? If i do go for the rotors i might get the pedals too!

The 'image due soon' ones are obviously a new design, as they weren't there a couple of weeks back. I got the 'Wave' version at the bottom of the page, in 203mm form. Got the adaptors from CRC....

You could go 203mm front & back if you wanted, but I personally didn't see the need. Generally, the bigger rotor is at the front, as that's where most of your stopping power should be. I moved my Avid 185mm rotor from the front onto the back and put the new 203mm on the front, so I essentially now have more power front & back. More than enough!

If the pedals are anything like the quality of other Superstar products, I'm sure they'll be great. They look pretty nice actually.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Buy any rotor with the exception of Hope floating rotors which will not fit the juicy three due to small fasteners on the rotor.
    I would personally go on ebay and pick up some avids on the cheap.
  • djames77
    Hi again

Has any tried either of these? I quite like the look of the Shimano rotors - especially at that price. Although i'm interested to hear if the Dirty Dog is worth the extra

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3937

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25152
  • You're looking at Centre Lock and six bolt... What hubs do you have.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I wouldn`t recommend avid clean sweep rotors, I just got 2 and the first time I braked hard as a test the rear one warped so bad the wheel would hardly go around. Pathetic rotor. Never had that trouble with roundagons.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • djames77
    Hi

These are the hubs

Front Hub:Forged alloy, hi/low flange, sealed cartridge bearing, machined disc mount, 28holeRear Hub:Forged alloy, double sealed cartridge bearing, machined disc mount, cassette, QR, 32hole

Am i looking at the wrong rotors?
  • Ha ha - told me everything but what was needed!

Guessing they are standard 6 bolt rotor mounts.

You'll need a six bolt disc.

Those DD rotors look rubbish, metal where it's not needed.
  • djames77
    Ha ha - told me everything but what was needed!

Guessing they are standard 6 bolt rotor mounts.

You'll need a six bolt disc.

Those DD rotors look rubbish, metal where it's not needed.

I thought that might be the case! I have just had a look and they are standard 6 bolt mounts. Not sure about the centre lock though? I understand the DD have metal where it's not needed but i don't mind the extra weight. The bike is lighter than i could of imagine so the only requisite of new parts is that they are strong. What wold you recommend. I do keep coming back to the superstar rotors, just wish i could see some first!
  • Nothing wrong with the Superstar rotors that you CAN see on the site though and they're a good few quid cheaper!

The 'look' of a rotor is much of a muchness IMO.
  • djames77
    Broonster wrote:
    Nothing wrong with the Superstar rotors that you CAN see on the site though and they're a good few quid cheaper!

Fair point, might order tomorrow! Did you have the Ti pins as well?
  • djames77 wrote:
    Broonster wrote:
    Nothing wrong with the Superstar rotors that you CAN see on the site though and they're a good few quid cheaper!

Nah, I ain't a weight weeny!

If I go for a crap before I ride, I loose more weight that way :wink:
  • djames77
    Broonster wrote:
    djames77 wrote:
    Broonster wrote:

Nah, I ain't a weight weeny!

If I go for a crap before I ride, I loose more weight that way :wink:

Haha fair enough, not very polite to have a $hit in the woods!
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    sure it is, bears do it all the time