Mini pump recommendations

Muddy1182
Muddy1182 Posts: 146
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a mini pump to carry in my camel bak. I'd like a guage for peice of mind if possible. Or has anyone got anything against the gauge idea?

Anyone know of any current bargains or online discount vouchures?

Cheers guys.....and girls.

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Blackburn make good kit. I have a MountainAir pump which doesn't have a guage. It's light and sturdy and works well. I'd buy kit from them again.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • I wouldn't bother with a gauge on a mini pump.

On a budget, I second the recommendation for the Blackburn Mountain Air. I've had my Mountain Air for 10 years, and it has been used alot, still going strong. They can be had for around a tenner.

If money is no object, the Lezyne Alloy small pump looks very tasty.

I would still say get a Mountain air for a tenner, and put any spare cash towards a decent track pump with a gauge.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    edited February 2010
    Topeak Peakini , very sturdy, very 'handy' extendible grip or Blackburn Mountain Air

Gauge is worthless.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I gave up on mini-pumps,take ages to blow a tyre up.Now use a Topeak Mountain morph.Fits easily in my Camelbak and pumps the tyre up like a track pump.Pricey at £25 though.
  • Lezyne Alloy mini pump stows away great in my pack, never had to use it when out thankfully but it will give you reasonable tyre pressure if pumping up from flat but I woulnt use it as a substitute for a good track pump
    steve
  • I just got one of these from Decathlon, it has double extension, a tiny gauge and can even be used as a mini track pump. Seems very well constructed for £16 and inflates pretty quickly too.

edit; 2 yr guarantee also!
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Look in the classifieds, Cheesey was selling his crank bros mini pump. I have one and find ideal for shoving in the bag for emergency use. Mini pumps can't compete with the bigger ones but then they're not designed to either.
  • thanks for the suggestions. Just looked at the blackburn on CRC and noticed the Topeak Master Blaster Mini Pump at the bottom of the page. Any good? It has the guage i fancied.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=2907
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    I have that one. Found it to be pretty decent and quicker at inflating than other pumps i've had. :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Another one for the Blackburn Mountain Air not the smallest but it fits the pump sleeve in my Deuter Hydro rucksack perfectly, shifts a lot of air for a mini pump and doesnt weigh a lot
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Muddy1182
    Well thanks for the advice guys. Going to see if any of the LBS have them in stock. Think i need to get my hands on them first!!

Anyone got any ideas where to get SRAM shifter spares?
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    CraigXXL wrote:
    Look in the classifieds, Cheesey was selling his crank bros mini pump. I have one and find ideal for shoving in the bag for emergency use. Mini pumps can't compete with the bigger ones but then they're not designed to either.

and this is still for sale and half price ;) :oops: :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Truflo Evolution + is another great option, excellent bit of kit. Way better than the Mountain Morph...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sniper68
    This might help:
    In a recent magazine group test these were the findings based on the amount of strokes to pump a tyre to 35psi:-
    Strokes
    Mountain Morph 120
    Blackburn MTN air 150
    Bontrager air support 175
    Lezyne alloy drive 200
    Innovations slim jim 240
    SKS injex T-zoom 250
    Crankbros powerpump 300
    Park PMP3 600

So the Mountain Morph and Blackburn are ahead in the pumping up stakes.
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    Topeak Peakini , very sturdy, very 'handy' extendible grip or Blackburn Mountain Air

Gauge is worthless.

Peakini on special in halfrauds at the mo
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    the lezyne alloy drive is supposed to be good, just ordered myself one and for £15 more comes with a pressure guage.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • kdw712
    kdw712 Posts: 72
    ilovedirt wrote:
    the lezyne alloy drive is supposed to be good, just ordered myself one and for £15 more comes with a pressure guage.

recently got one of these (best price i found was from a seller on ebay)
    and it had it first test on sunday and performed fantastic

but i did miss not having a gauge
    so prob will get one of those for it soon
  • sniper68
    ilovedirt wrote:

Except it takes almost twice as long as a Mountain Morph to pump a tyre to 35psi :wink::wink:
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited March 2010
    Muddy1182 wrote:
    Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a mini pump to carry in my camel bak. I'd like a guage for peice of mind if possible. Or has anyone got anything against the gauge idea?

Anyone know of any current bargains or online discount vouchures?

Cheers guys.....and girls.

I wouldn't bother. IMO mini pumps are not worth the trouble. If you use a camelback then just buy a full sized pump and if money is no object a digital gauge. I now use a Blackburn Mamouth (not as big as the name might suggest).

Mini pumps will usually wear out quicker than their full sized equivalents due to the number of strokes required to inflate the tyre.
  • bannedbiker
    bannedbiker Posts: 382
    Turbo morph, they rule!
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • Muddy1182
    So many things to think of. Cheers to all for advice. Luckily haven't had a pucture whilst out without pump. Must get one soon.