Presta v "Car type"

m3trackboy
m3trackboy Posts: 97
edited February 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought two inners from LBS, they have presta valves is there any advantage or should I stick with "Car Type Valves" tyres are Panarace cinders on XC717 rims

Thanks

Comments

• gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    Schrader for hill billys presta for pros :lol::wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is personal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    nicklouse wrote:
    it is personal.

What are you doing with your innertubes??!
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • I prefer the Presta valve because of the way it screws shut. But they are more delicate. As Nick says - it is up to personal preference.

BTW - you have a PM.
  • If you can't be assed to carry a pump (so excluding race), then it's always preferable to run Schrader.
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    If your rims are drilled for Schrader (car-type) then the holes will probably be too big for Presta. You can get little adapter things though.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Schrader all the way. FIrstly if your pump dies, you're more likely to be able to borrow, beg or otherwise acquire air from an alternative source. Secondly, the little stems on Prestas are a b*tch with cold, muddy hands - I bent several resulting in slow deflation before reverting back to Schraders. :D
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    One type allows you to connect a pump and squeeze air into the tube

The other type does exactly the same but is a different shape

The weight difference is about 5 grams roughly the same amount of weight you can lose by having a good fart
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    shrader all the way! presta are so damn delicate! iv bent more than i can count, and iv had at least 3 totaly fall apart on me.... not cool, and i dont care if you say its due to bad "maintenance" or not being carefull, its a flipping tube valve! i just want i to work, and work reliably!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Just changed them! now a hill billie

Bit of a downer just bulit my bike with wheels and tyres on and no clearence between crouch and top tube. :cry: 19" kona king kickapu, sitting on the saddle feels OK, but waiting for brake pads to come before I can ride it, reach feels good saddle stem is about 5" out of the tube. I'm 5' 10" if I feel comftable when riding is there a problem?
    I have a feeling this is going to be a how long is a piece of string type question.