returning too MYB

mattyjonsmith
mattyjonsmith Posts: 29
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm planning on getting back into mountain biking but have no idea what bike to buy. I used ( a good few years ago) to own a Marin Bear Valley SE and I absolutely loved it! Want to stick with a hardtail as I will be using it on roads a fair bit too. Planning on spending £500/£600 ish maybe a bit more maybe a bit less. Would really appreciate it if anybody had any decent recomendations.

Comments

• You have come to the right place!

For that budget you will get a good bike,

GT Avalanche
    Cube
    Trek
    Specialized etc etc

Have a look at evans cycles to get an idea of bikes you like the look of then post them up on here to get opinions.

Happy shopping and welcome back! :D
    Trek Series 6
    GT Avalanche
  • kene
    kene Posts: 47
    I can only speak for myself i have a Giant Talon 0 a very excellent hardtail they also do a Giant Talon 1 for £650 only £50 over your budget but worth it
  • SpeedWeasel
    SpeedWeasel Posts: 73
    edited February 2010
    I've recently gone through the same process as you. Returning MTBer looking to break back in. You'll find many similar topics to this if you search. I didn't think much of the specs of the 'big' manufacturers in this price range - especially with big component price rises in the last couple of years.

It took me quite a while to get over the snobbery of looking in Halfords but the Carerra Fury is very hard to ignore in this price range.

Eventually, after reading the opinions of more experienced people than myself on here I took the plunge. You can see a couple of my threads here...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... rerra+fury

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12681812

I'm out again at the weekend and I cannot wait. I used to have an aluminium XC race whippet with full XT and Pace forks many moons ago but this bike is every bit as good - if not better. Air forks and disk brakes are new to me but the overall ride quality of this bike is amazing for the price - just ignore the Halfords tag!
  • Thanks for all the advice guys. You've really got me thinking! My biggest problem is that i'm living in Ireland (originally from Devon, England). They tend to rip us off for everything over here!! Halfords are charging almost 600 sterling for the Carrera Fury!! What would anyones opinion be on the Carrera Kraken?
    I'm gonna go for a drive tomorrow to all the local (and small) bike shops and suss them out. Hopefully i'll unearth a bargain somewhere! Thanks again.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Kraken is still a very good bike for the money, better equipped than some bikes that cost far more.
  • Had a run around all of the local shops today. Very poor availability to be honest! 5 jumped out at me:

GT Avalanche 3.0 with hydraulic disc brakes £450

GT Avalanche 3.0 with mechanical disc brakes £355

Then from Halfords:

Carrera Kraken £395

Carrera Fury £615

GT Aggressor XC1 (2008 model) £510

Anybody have any opinions on these? Initially I was leaning towards the Avalanche with hydraulic disc brakes. But the GT Aggressor is a bit of a bargain as its old stock. What would you do??
  • And now i'm leaning towards the Avalanche with mech. disc brakes......not got as much to spend as I initially hoped!! Are mech discs as problematic as i've heard or are they still pretty useful?

In fact would I be crazy to buy the avalanche when I can get thje Kraken with hydraulics for only a small bit more?

Jeez decisions decisions!
  • And now i'm leaning towards the Avalanche with mech. disc brakes......not got as much to spend as I initially hoped!! Are mech discs as problematic as i've heard or are they still pretty useful?

In fact would I be crazy to buy the avalanche when I can get thje Kraken with hydraulics for only a small bit more?

Jeez decisions decisions!
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    If your budget is limited, you wont go wrong with a Kraken for that money
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Take a look at Paul's cycles. Loads of good deals if you don't mind last years bikes or evee 2007 or 2008 bikes. Not much really changed in that time.
  • I think if the Kraken is half as good as my Fury it will be a great bike. Their buying power gets you so much more than the main brands at this price point.

Had another amazing ride out on Sunday on my Fury in the peak district - 23 miles and the bike performed flawlessly, was comfortable and can really take some punishment (it is really rocky round these parts).

I don't know enough about the Aggressor to comment but don't go for mechanical disks when you've got the choice of decent bikes with decent hydro brakes.
  • Ok this is it...decision time.

My choices have really been knocked as I haven't as much to spend as I hoped. Was just about to go for the Carrera Kraken for €439 when I saw that the GT Aggressor XC 3 was on sale at €369. Can't see any difference in the bikes so I was gonna get the GT Aggressor XC 3. It's cheaper, a better name (I know that doesn't really matter!) And the guy in the shop said if it was him he'd go for the Aggressor......

So am I right or wrong?

Kraken or Aggressor XC 3?

And I promise I will leave you all alone after this!! Except for reports on (hopefully) how awesome the new bike is performing around the lakes of Killarney.
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Are they both '09 models?

You cant go wrong with either, if I were buying, I'd have the Carrera as I prefer SRAM gear and prefer the look of the Carrera.

Once you've narrowed it down to two like this, and they're similar specs, its generally just down to personal opinion on which you prefer the look/feel of.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • There both '09's yep. I felt when I rode them that the Kraken's gears were a bit stickier; weren't as smooth with quick changes. Most likely just the Halfords setuop though if your saying that the Krakens gears are better. Guess your right though; I just need to decide which one I prefer.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Have a look at these Boardman are doing some fantastic bikes at the minute and they are placing very high in group tests

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbht/ht_comp.html £699

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbht/ht_sport.html £549
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Agressor. GT bikes are ace.

Had mine 5 years and it was awesome.

Best of luck
    Trek Series 6
    GT Avalanche
  • Any more for any more?

Aggressor or Kraken?

Sounds like it should be the Aggressor?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Definitly the aggressor!

I nearly bought one myself last year but then I found my spesh stumpy for 500 so gat that instead. :D

Kinda wish I had gone for the GT now though because I want a hardtail :roll:
  • Thanks for all the input guys.

Haven't bought anything yet as I got a bit of a scare with my mortgage!!!! Hopefully is sorted out now though so i'm planning on getting a bike sorted this week.

Am going to go for the Kraken as I just think it seems to be the best value for money. Does anybody know how the Halfords 'sales' work? I know they are a farce but was hoping the Carrera's were due for a bit of a mark down soon?

From comments and reviews however it seems like the Halfords setup is horrendous! Would it be a good idea to take the bike to a real bike shop and pay for a service/correct setup straight away?

I'd like to properly maintain it myself too, so where would I go for advice/guides on how to actually tighten/adjust and generally care for all the various parts? That way I could check the Halfords set up myself.