Vittoria Open Pave Evo CG

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
Anyone know the cheapest place to buy these?

Thanks
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I just bought some at xmas, got them for £66 pair on ebay.

Think Ribble are doing them for about the same, everywhere else seemed more expensive.

The ones I got from Ebay showed as being the old green walled ones in the listing but were actually the new 320tpi black walled tyres. Having checked he's sold out but this is the seller I used. Delivered within 2 days, very good.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/groupetto53x11

Try Ribble. Seem cheap.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ITTTYRF290
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I get mine from ribble.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Are the ones sold by Ribble the new 320 tpi?

How do they compare to other top of the range clinchers? say GP4000S or PRO3Grip?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Ribble ones are 320. Took a delivery last week.

£64 for a pair I paid.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    fnegroni wrote:
    How do they compare to other top of the range clinchers? say GP4000S?

Thinking of buying a pair of these to replace a pair of GP4000S. Can anyone answer the above question?
  • Anonymous
    Better.

I made that very change.

The Contis feel like hosepipes in comparison.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I know people like them, but are they not overkill for most applications?

Flanders was fine on Conti 4000 25mms and I'll do Roubiax next weekend again on the same combo.

Is it just cool to have the green tires like the pros? I had some 6-7 years ago and they were like velcro on tarmac.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I think the GP4000s are a better allrounder. I've had the Paves and while they are a bit more supple, you pay for this in more punctures and cuts (in my experience anyway). I'm back on the contis now, and happy with them.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Nap, AP, thanks. To be honest, I'm happy with the Contis too but the Paves have a nice green stripe that I think will match the Celeste accents on my bike. :oops:
  • Anonymous
    GavH wrote:
    Nap, AP, thanks. To be honest, I'm happy with the Contis too but the Paves have a nice green stripe that I think will match the Celeste accents on my bike. :oops:

No, they won't!!!

That will clash and make people feel ill.
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I run both GP4000s on my training wheels and Open Pave 320's on my best wheels. I think the Conti's are great training tyres - tough, durable, long lasting (about 3,000km on a pair now and still going strong) but the ride quality on the Pave's is a lot better. I run the Pave's with Michelin Latex tubes which makes them even better - but they I don't believe they are as tough/durable as the Conti's. I've done 1,000km on the Pave's and the rear is starting to show some signs of wear. I think they look great too with the green stripe. They are my best tyres on my best wheels - but I still like having the GP4000's on my everyday wheels. Both are good tyres - I just like the Vittorias better. Hope that helps.
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Any experience of which tyres, GP4000s' or Pave, are easier to put on/ take off in event of a puncture? Thinking of changing from conti 4 seasons and I had terrible problems fitting pro race 3's to my d'ace rims - don't want to repeat the experience with another brand!!

Peter
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    northpole wrote:
    Any experience of which tyres, GP4000s' or Pave, are easier to put on/ take off in event of a puncture? Thinking of changing from conti 4 seasons and I had terrible problems fitting pro race 3's to my d'ace rims - don't want to repeat the experience with another brand!!

Peter

I had trouble with the Pave's the first couple of times but then I had trouble with the 4 Seasons the first couple of times too.
    I know, i know - it is probably poor technique but I find a couple of off & on's in the comfort of my house breaks them in before I hit the road. No problem after that.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    northpole wrote:
    Any experience of which tyres, GP4000s' or Pave, are easier to put on/ take off in event of a puncture?

This will have alot to do with rims as well. Different brands of rims are harder/easier to put tyres on. I've personally never had issue with Vittoria tyres on Mavic and Ambrosio rims.

The Open Pave's are awesome to ride. Partly due to 320TPI and partly 'cos they're 24mm. Of course the looks make up most of the reason why they're awesome :roll: .

Like Corsa's, i'm finding they cut up fairly easily.I'll be going for Vittoria Diamante's next. Meant to be that bit tougher but you still get 220TPI which is more than most other brands top models.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Not sure I can see the 'big deal' with the various tyres available...
    I have GP4000S's on my Easton wheels, Vittoria Evo Corsa 320tpi tubs on my Zipps, but I always ride my training wheels (even raced) with Conti GatorSkins on them.
    I love the confident feel from them, and they are bullet proof, too. :wink:

Really must break out the Zipps, this time home, though...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Just put 2,000 miles on a set of GP4000S.
    No punctures all year round, punctured the rear tyre about 200 miles ago on a hill during some wet weather. The rear tyre was showing maybe half a millimeter left in the wear indicators.
    I swapped front and rear tyres, and today got a puncture at the front (the old rear tyre).
    I just ordered a new GP4000S to replace it.
    I was tempted to order a new set of Pave CG, but then I am also happy with the 4000S and the tyres really do perform well for the yearly mileage I put on them (slightly less than 2,000) so maybe that's all i can get out of the rear, but that means all I need is one new tyre a year.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Schwalbe Ultremo R1!!!!! Virtually no rolling resistance and have to say they seem more puncture resistant than the GP4000 I had last summer