Chain wear

t-bone-king
t-bone-king Posts: 48
edited February 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

My old chain (shimano hg53) has been running about a year and a bit of fairly regular riding, and I have kept it pretty clean. Bought a new SRAM pc971 and laid it next to the old one. old has stretched about a third of a link. Is there still life in it or is it new chain time?

cheers Roger

Comments

• Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    I asked about chain wear just the other day after being told by the bike shop that my chain needed replacing (after 6 months of use).

I may be wrong cos i'm new to this but from what i gather, you should replace the chain when it has something like 0.75% stretch.

if you leave it longer, such as 1% stretch then you will likely need to replace your rear cassette and posibly other parts too.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12682688

Heres a link to my post, several of the replies have some good info about when the replace.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    it sounds well worn so could have worn cassette and chain rings too, best bet is to try a new chain but could get slippng when put under load wich would be worn gears, if you get slipping i would just run old chain until its totaly dead and slipping ect and then replace cassette and rings too.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Get your self a chain checker tool.Best £6 i ever spent.As soon as it gets to 0.75% wear,change the chain.This way you should get 3 or 4 chains to cassette 8)

lifeline-1150-med.jpg

£6.49 from wiggle 8)