Friday Fun: How do you mount your steed?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
OK so I got to thinking earlier this week about the way I get on my bike. I can only get onto the bike on one side the-non-drive-side. If I tried to get on it from the other side, well I haven't tried. But if I did I'm sure I'd cross over into an alternate reality or something.

Basically, the way I get on my bike is this:

I'm always on the non-drive-side of the bike, I dip the bike at an angle - leaning it towards me - and then I swing my right leg behind me and over the bike, my leg is bent at a perfect 90 degree angle.

The other way I use to mount my bike, albeit when I was younger and had a mountain/hybrid bike, was to run with the bike and then jump in the air ala Superman but still holding the bars and literally swing myself onto the bike seat and pedals all in one movement with the bike still moving. Think Cowboys jumping on a horse while being chased by the Sheriff. It was a skill, trust me!

I've seen some people throw their leg forward and over the bike, this I think is insane.

But it got me thinking, do you have a unique way of mounting your bike and how do you do it get on the thing in general?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,603
    Jump :P
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I have my legs akimbo and slowly inch it between them from the front...
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I use your method although sometimes I put my foot on the nearside pedal, skip a couple of times and then swing my leg over
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I've seen some people throw their leg forward and over the bike, this I think is insane.

?

If you've ever ridden a tandem, it's the only way.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,635
    I always go for the backflip, landing astride the saddle. Hurts like hell when you misjudge it.

No, I'm a non-drive-side-only guy as well. For the same reason as I always put the same foot down first when stopping/dismounting. If I have to think about it, it will all go wrong and I'll end up on my arse.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Mine is always waiting in its rack below the bedroom window and I have the wife lower me down on a winch directly onto the saddle.

Seriously - do you people only ever get on from one side? Blimey...
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Depending on how enegetic I am feeling I will either; lean the bike towards me (leaning left) and swing my foot over, or put my left foot on the left pedal push off and swing my foot over the bike as I set off.

Both of the above usually involve at least one toe breaking kick to the pannier rack per week :oops:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    In private, mostly.
  • I have three ways. Mostly I stand on the non-drive side, and put my SPD shoe into the SPD pedal, and simultaneously push down on the pedal and swing my right leg up and over the saddle, so I am then sitting in the saddle, facing forward, holding both hands on the handlebars throughout.

Sometimes I push twice with my righrt leg on the ground, left foot engaged in pedal, to get up 'speed', and then swing legs over saddle.

Third way is if I come to a halt in traffic. I dismount standing astride the bike, both feet flat on the ground. When I want to move off, I engage the left foot in the pedal, and stand up in the pedal which 1. gives me forward movement, and b. lifts my ars* into the saddle.

I think if I tried to dismount on the drive side, I would end up on my back.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    edited February 2010
    CiB wrote:
    Seriously - do you people only ever get on from one side? Blimey...

Always mount from the drive side, both hands on brake hoods tilt a fraction towards me and then left leg over, always clip in with left foot first. - it just feels wrong any other way.

Trying to clip in on the move with my left foot usually ends in embarrassment.

When dismounting, I clip out first with my left and then dismount to the non drive side bit when stopped at a junction I clip my right foot out - ok I'm a weirdo.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • benno68
    In private, mostly.

But not always??? :wink:

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Benno68 wrote:
    In private, mostly.

Not always clearly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1567410/Man-who-had-sex-with-bike-in-court.html
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I have two ways:

1)
    - Hold handlebars
    - Lift them to head height
    - Walk forward so saddle is inbetween legs
    - Lower bike, causing the saddle to move backwards
    - You should now be stood with the top tube between your legs

2)
    - Hold saddle with right hand
    - Face the front of the bike
    - Swing right leg in a clockwise arc over the handlebars

I personally find 2 easier, as my bars are incredibly low but 1 is better if you're trying to keep composure and look professional.
  • benno68
    CiB wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:
    In private, mostly.

Not always clearly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1567410/Man-who-had-sex-with-bike-in-court.html

Is nothing sacred :lol::lol::lol:

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm always on the non-drive-side of the bike, I dip the bike at an angle - leaning it towards me - and then I swing my right leg behind me and over the bike

Me too.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ...I've seen some people throw their leg forward and over the bike, this I think is insane.
    I've read this is an affectation of fixie-riders.. don't know if that's true. Would make a modicum of sense on a track-style bike with low 'bars, no brakes and a high saddle, I guess. I can do it but don't (does that make me a gentleman, like with violins? :-) ).
    But it got me thinking, do you have a unique way of mounting your bike and how do you do it get on the thing in general?

I normally swing my leg over from the non-drive side, put my right foot into the toeclip and then set off and engage the left clip. Occasionally, I'll engage the left clip first and set off whilst swinging the leg over and engaging the right clip, but I need to be pretty quick to do that on the fixie (need to be sat down, or ready to stand on the right pedal, before the left pedal reaches BDC).

If circumstances dictate I can get on or off either side. I can more-or-less do a rearward dismount (another fixie affectation) but can't pull it off neatly every time.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

?

not if you're at the back
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Clever Pun wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

?

not if you're at the back

Srsly that's for gurls. They step over the bike in ladylike fashion
  • wgwarburton
    Bhima wrote:
    I have two ways:

1)
    - Hold handlebars

This can only work if your saddle is lower than your crotch, surely, or an ungainly hop would be needed...? I would expect that to be way too low for riding...? What am I missing?
    2)

I personally find 2 easier, as my bars are incredibly low but 1 is better if you're trying to keep composure and look professional.

...and yet, your 'bars are lower still... Are you riding a BMX? :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    This can only work if your saddle is lower than your crotch, surely, or an ungainly hop would be needed...? I would expect that to be way too low for riding...? What am I missing?

In the starting position you have your crotch over the junction between seetpost and top tube. Don't jam your saddle into your crotch or when you drop the front you're likely to remove some bits you'd rather keep.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    This can only work if your saddle is lower than your crotch,

Well, it sometimes requires you to lift a leg up a bit, but usually the bike has been flipped backwards slightly and it's ok. Basically, this is the same as DDD's standard method, but you are essentially lowering the saddle so very little leg movement is needed.

And my bars are so low because I like to ride in a ridiculously aerodynamic position on my road bike all the time. :)
  • wgwarburton
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    ... What am I missing?
    In the starting position you have your crotch over the junction between seetpost and top tube. Don't jam your saddle into your crotch or when you drop the front you're likely to remove some bits you'd rather keep.

OK, I think I've got it- so the assumptions are that, 1) the nose of the saddle is lower with the front wheel in the air, than it is with both wheels on the ground, and 2) you don't have a rear mudguard, or luggage on the back of the bike...?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Bhima wrote:
    I have two ways:

1)
    - Hold handlebars

2)

facepalm.jpg
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I can do both, generally drive side though depending how flexible I'm feeling
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • given my right hip is fairly well buggered I always keep left leg on the floor, dip bike and right leg over and on.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Pretty standard for me I think: stand next to the bike, aply front brake, tilt bike towards me whilst swinging a leg back over the saddle, leaving me straddling the top tube. I never mount directly to the saddle, always to the top tube then clip in SPDs then go to the saddle as I ride off. I can mount the bike from either side as conditions dictate but prefer to approach non drive side. I've experimented with the hipster over the handlebars style but it never works out so good, feels like I'm going to trip over the bike somehow.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Remove the seatpost, slide the bike between my legs, replace the seatpost.
  • Benno68 wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:
    In private, mostly.

Not always clearly.

Is nothing sacred :lol::lol::lol:

What ? Old story , but looks like staff entered into his room whilst he was getting off in private with his bike, called the police, and now he's on the register ! So this guy has effectively been prosecuted for masturbating in the privacy of his own room.

Am not fessing up to anything unusual myself like, but find this a disturbing judgement
  • Bhima wrote:
    2)
    I too use this method. Can't beat a good old hipster mount.

I also rock the hipster high lock when I see a high enough object to lock the bike too. 8)