Sport Relief

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Now, as I know a fair few of you don't listen to Radio 1 like I do, you may not have heard about this:

http://www.sportrelief.com/whats-on/challenges/cycle

Good luck to them! I wouldn't want to sleep on a tourbus...

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Fair play, I do want to see Fearne Cotton suffer though :lol:

Doesn't sound to bad, going to be 1 person cycling at a time re-lay style, whilst the rest take a nap on the bus?
  • iPete wrote:

Doesn't sound to bad, going to be 1 person cycling at a time re-lay style, whilst the rest take a nap on the bus?

Yep.

I guess the question is how long each person is going to ride for - if it's an hour (which I reckon is a lot for these guys) then there's still only a 6-hour break between rides. So if it's half an hour, then it's only a 3-hour break.

And it continues for 4 days.

I reckon that has the potential to suck quite substantially.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Didn't Walliams swim the channel a year or two ago?
  • _Brun_ wrote:

He did.
  • I've done my bit - bought a Sport Relief water bottle in Sainsburys the other day
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Oscarbudgie you are all heart mate.

I agree about the not wanting to sleep on a tour bus but I think with Fearne Cotton in the bunk next to me I could cope.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    _Brun_ wrote:

More like 4 years ago. How time flies! :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    On the one hand, I think they're making it rather easy on themselves- I know two people who've done The Race Against Time, which though not non-stop, does involve the team each covering an average of 145 miles a day. But this lot are pretty much non-cyclists, so starting from a base like that....And I'm certainly not going to be churlish about raising money for a good cause, particularly as I'm only going to be doing 70 miles a day for four days in September..
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    iPete wrote:

Yep.

I guess the question is how long each person is going to ride for - if it's an hour (which I reckon is a lot for these guys) then there's still only a 6-hour break between rides. So if it's half an hour, then it's only a 3-hour break.

A pretty challenging thing to keep up for four days, I'd imagine its easier than swimming the channel though, from a cyclists perspective anyway, won't get me in that cold water!

I think the Dallaglio cycle slam deserves a bigger mention..
    http://www.dallagliocycleslam.com/
    According to the live tracking they are coming through London as we speak!

either way, I'm very jealous any tour that gets a bus for support!
  • fenners wrote:
    Oscarbudgie you are all heart mate.

I agree about the not wanting to sleep on a tour bus but I think with Fearne Cotton in the bunk next to me I could cope.

:oops: Alright I'll go and buy another - they are a quid though. Agreed about Fearne Cotton, and she does spend most of her time lying on her back.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • The Dallagio thing is very impressive indeed! I have quite the crush on him. :oops:

I agree, a hardened cyclist could probably do it a lot faster and by themselves, but these people clearly aren't hardened cyclists.

And hey, maybe it'll get a few more people out on their bikes!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,688
    A guy at work did the Nice - Paris leg of the Dallagio route.

Apparantly the first leg in Italy went all wrong with people going the wrong way, snow, not bringing enough clothes etc.

His route was a bit better, if very wet, but he spent one day throwing up, so was a bit of a shell for the other couple days.

He was a heffer rugby player though, so while his physique was not quite up there with Contador and the like, he did have that mental self-destruct button which is necessary on rides like that.

Doing that kind of riding in Feb isn't much fun!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    iPete wrote:

Yep.

+1 :):)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    gbsahne wrote:
    I'd have thought on the highlands they'd ghave hit 60 at least!

Did you not see the snow and generally crap weather

I started off thinking "pansies, I could utterly destroy them" and I probably could; but on my commute, I usually manage to sleep the night before. It isn't fair to compare.

Chapeau I say. They've made the world a slightly better place. I haven't.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    saw it but failing the highlands the lake district, if I can hit 55 on the tiny hills round here, then the lakes would see it get into high figures.

For people that havent been on a bike for any length of time though, it was a good effort.

They just need to shoot their planner.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    gbsahne wrote:
    if I can hit 55 on the tiny hills round here, then the lakes would see it get into high figures.

Blimey. Titanium testes! I get pretty scared above about 35-40 ish (guess) but I can't see too well (excuse!) No way would I try anything like that on ice/snow.
    gbsahne wrote:

+1. That must have been agonisingly cold.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    gbsahne wrote:
    saw it but failing the highlands the lake district, if I can hit 55 on the tiny hills round here, then the lakes would see it get into high figures.

For people that havent been on a bike for any length of time though, it was a good effort.

Is this a km/h vs. mph thing again?

55mph is *very* quick, even gravity assisted.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Aidy wrote:
    Is this a km/h vs. mph thing again?

55mph is *very* quick, even gravity assisted.

No, down a relatively big hill on an old steel Peugot (1992) racer. Unfortunately my commute only has a tiny hill and to get to any speed on that does require a lot of effort; pb to date is 38mph.