Wheel spin of frame flex?

amc
amc Posts: 315
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
As a newbie to racing, I noticed something odd the other day while at Hog Hill. When giving it some wellie out the saddle the rear wheel/triangle seemed strange. I cannot work out if it is wheel spin or too much flex/give somewhere out the back.
It happened most laps when i was honking out the saddle and it was when going uphill, which makes me think wheel spin. But it was mostly dry and i was leaning pretty far forward (like everyone else) over the bars. It's hard to describe but felt a bit like wheel spin but a bit different too as if the chain/seat stays were flexing too much, which baring in mind my pretty low power output may not be possible.
My bike is an alu frame, with carbon rear triangle and the seat posy pretty high. Any ideas? Thanks.
amc

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    If you are getting wheelspin (which you should be able to feel by the change in resistance), try moving your weight back slightly when you're out of the saddle. I have this problem when I'm powering over short climbs in a big gear sometimes.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Try dropping down a gear or so, driving up hills in high gear means you're heaving sudden power rushes through the pedals which will inevitably lead to frame flex and wheelspins. Obviously over a short climb you don't want to be spinning like a loony but find a happy medium...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • amc
    amc Posts: 315
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Rather stupidly, i posted the topic twice, so i;'m adding your responses to the other identical topic i posted so hopefully we can all stick to one.

If reading this please go to the other topic
    amc