Disc size upgrade.

kenan
kenan Posts: 952
edited February 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'v got a GT Avalanche 1.0 2009 with the Tektro Comp brakes. I'v found a mount adapter that would enable me to increase the rotor size from 160 to 203.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35541

Now the question is I'v seen some forks only take certian size rotors etc, what do I need to check before doing this?

My plan is that my other bike runs a hope brake with a 203 rotor so I could swap the wheels between bike without have to change tyres all the time :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need to know what the fork is and look it up and see what the max size disc it can take.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    check with the fork manufacturer, they will recommend a maximum disc size

what fork do you have?
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • kenan
    It's a Suntour MAG-32, but can't find any info on it. Don't know if they rebaged for fitting to the Avalanche.

Little info here: http://www.mbr.co.uk/products/frames/Mb ... 86588.html
  • kenan
    Why do forks have a max rotor size? what issues would be cause by going over the max. I ran a 203 on a RockShox Judy J4 and sure that should not of worked :)
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Brake power/fork strength (I think)
  • kenan
    so I could feck the suspension.

Good excuse for an upgrade :)
  • i-drive
    i-drive Posts: 527
    yes failue to the fork on your budget model over time is likley .ive seen tham break at the brace suntour & low end rs.