Club rides. What Speeds?

dogsloweverywhere
dogsloweverywhere Posts: 44
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
On a club ride out, what speeds are the groups likely to be doing both on a 2 and on a 3hr training ride?
Assuming it's a reasonably flatish ride.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    26.6mph average
  • Which group?
    That seems very fast.
    Assume that's the fast group on a gropu ride?
    It also seems very specific (.6!)
    How do you come by this figure or is this just your speed on a 3hr ride per hour in which case you're clocking up over 75 miles.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    NapoleonD wrote:
    26.6mph average

Ahh, you still taking it easy Napd ? You want to unleash the Quads and up that average. 8)
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I think Nap was probably joking - the question is unanswerable...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Impossible question - my club would have 3 or 4 runs - racing boys would be >20mph and at the other end the old guys prob <15 ?
  • Why so difficult to answer?
    Surely at some point you have to sort into groups and those groups must be aware of the sort of speeds they average on a ride.
  • Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Perfect!
    Much appreciated.

Begs the question, however, why NapD bothered posting when he clearly has too much time on his hands (?) and yet nothing positive to offer.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    cougie wrote:
    Impossible question - my club would have 3 or 4 runs - racing boys would be >20mph and at the other end the old guys prob <15 ?

I beg to point out that there is a significant number of teenagers and 20 summats with sod all fitness and stamina ( a quick trawl on forum replies justify this) who would struggle to keep up with the 'old boys' as you so nicely put it.
  • Perfect!
    Much appreciated.

Begs the question, however, why NapD bothered posting when he clearly has too much time on his hands (?) and yet nothing positive to offer.

To be fair I think he is probably talking from his experience.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    I think all clubs are a bit different depending on their size and general activity bias. My own club is here: http://www.cambridge-cycling-club.org.uk/clubrides.htm

I reckon the rides are about 1mph faster than the averages shown, but it varies with different group leaders and the time of year.

There's pretty much something for everyone I reckon. I started with the slowest group and worked my way up as I got fitter and faster.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Perfect!
    Much appreciated.

Need to lighten up. If you ask an open question with very little information you will get a mixture of answers, thats the fun in coming on this forum.

FYI most clubs will go somewhere different each week to give a variety of experience. This will mean that average speeds a pretty irrelevant and only a guide as to which group to join. I have averaged over 20mph in a beginners group due to wind and gradients one week followed a week later in a 'fast' group getting only 16mph due to the conditions.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    +1 as above - if you want to get a real answer to the question, turn up for a club run and find out for yourself....
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Our club has runs from a sedate 10mph all the way up to 20+mph, you choose the club run you want to go on based on the typical speed of the groups. Obviously there will be deviations due to weather conditions or terrain, but not much of a change.

See if the club you would like to go out with has a website, and see if there is any info on club runs, if not contact the club secretary and she what info they can provide.

But as above it is very difficult to answer, we are all at different levels, and different clubs have differing numbers of club rides.
  • 26mph, think you should turn pro :idea:
  • 26mph, think you should turn pro :idea:

Sounds like my old club, eyeballs out when on club runs in January/February.

By April they're all packing in road races. :lol:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Dulwich Paragon Sat ride averages between about 15mph and 19mph depending on which group you're with (splits into fast, medium and slow). Bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Which group?
    That seems very fast.
    Assume that's the fast group on a gropu ride?
    It also seems very specific (.6!)
    How do you come by this figure or is this just your speed on a 3hr ride per hour in which case you're clocking up over 75 miles.

I think he is taking the pxsss :D
    Club rides, varying from 15 to 22 mph depending on route and conditions and what club.
    Training rides (not the same thing) aveage may not be relevent as there may be speeds of 18mph followed by stretches of 30mph for intervals or chaingang.

Some guys on here need to lighten up when reading replies :)
  • I used to be a member of a cycling club a few years ago
    we used to have a few groups that rode at different speeds on club meetings
    fast and not so fast (that was me )

gilbo