First timer clipless SPD advice

Jimmy125
Jimmy125 Posts: 34
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Ok so the time has come to get myself clipped in.

I ride mostly freeride, xc all mountain stuff and sometimes road rides.

Been looking at the shimano M647 pedals but when it comes to shoes what should i be looking for? Any good brands and brands i should stay clear from?

Any help would be great.
Shake 'n' Bake

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Shoes are well worth going into your LBS to try for size, they all vary in width a bit too.

Specialized, Shimano, Northwave, 661 are all good brands as well as plenty of others
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • +1 for the shimanos. Although I'm a roadie I wear Shimano MTB shoes so that I don't walk like a duck or slide around on wet roads when I put my foot down.

I've had mine a year now and commute in all weathers, they still look like new. Nuff said.

Oh, two hints. Adjust the tension right down at first and do practice clipping in and out a bit before you set off, its easy to do but it's easy to forget your clipped in.

Enjoy!
  • Recently made the change myself (although I'll still be using flats on my full sus - keep the SPDs for my hardtail). It was surprisingly easy to get the hang of to be honest. I found the hardest part was getting my foot into the right position to actually clip into the pedal, but I mastered this pretty much on my first ride.

I bought some Crank Brothers Candy pedals from CRC (£20, reduced from £60) and some Lake shoes from Wiggle (£50, reduced from £90 I think).

I like both now actually, having originally having reservations, but will continue to use both for different types of riding.

Still haven't had that embarrassing SPD newbie fall yet either! :wink:
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Smiler15
    Smiler15 Posts: 129
    Ive got shimano pedals and shoes, very happy with them. Had them very loose at first and have been tightening them up so they're secure doing wheelies and jumps. I went for Multi-release cleat bolts which I think is better for all mountain riding as its much easier to escape or get the foot down round flat corners! :)
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Until you know you'll get on with them, why not try M520's? They're cheap as chips (I've seen them for <£20 and are actually very good pedals. The cages on the M647's are not really usable, and just accumulate mud.

Shoe wise, I swear by Shimano but as Andy_B[/b} said, trying them on for fit is a good idea (even if you subsequently buy on-line :wink:)
  • Thanks for all the input and advice guys.

I will go and try lots of shoes on over the weekend.

Will have a look at those pedals S_J_P.

And yea i will def run them loose to start with and try to avoid that newbie fall :P

Also when it comes to pedal and shoe compatibility is it simple enough? :roll:
    Shake 'n' Bake
  • Smiler15
    Smiler15 Posts: 129
    pretty sure they are all compatible...?
  • The pedals usually come with the cleats and then you have to buy shoes that are compatible with the cleats.

I've only ever used SPD pedals & cleats myself, but I believe that some road bike pedals and cleats use a different bolt layout, so require different shoes.

Best check with your LBS, when you try the shoes on - just thell them that you need shoes for Shimano SPDs and they should set you right.

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • belugabob wrote:
    The pedals usually come with the cleats and then you have to buy shoes that are compatible with the cleats.

I've only ever used SPD pedals & cleats myself, but I believe that some road bike pedals and cleats use a different bolt layout, so require different shoes.

Best check with your LBS, when you try the shoes on - just thell them that you need shoes for Shimano SPDs and they should set you right.

Thanks for that bob
    Shake 'n' Bake
  • Wife bought me Shimano M160 shoes for Christmas and got Shimano M520 pedals free with them (Got them from Merlin I think)

Would recommend both shoe and pedal although havent manage to avoid the "Frank Spencer" style newbie clipless fall. Now have the scars to prove it!

Attempting Follow the Dog at Cannock for the first time clipless on Sunday - full body armour needed I think!