Road bike food and fresh air philosophy / rambling post

Smoothfoote
Smoothfoote Posts: 9
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
I recently bought my first road bike (Defy 3.5) and I love it, although I can't wait for this gawdawful weather to improve so I can actually use it properly. I see a lot of colourful road cyclists fly past on the weekends in large groups, clubs I guess, and struggle to see the appeal, so was curious about whether I am in a minority and if there are others out there who have the same road cycling philosophy as me.

An ideal Saturday for me would be anything from 40 to 80 miles, stopping for leisurely pub lunches - pie and chips for example, and maybe a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea for breakfast. The goal is not speed - I'd be happy to average 15 mph. The goal is not to lose weight - I enjoy food too much. The goal is simply to enjoy the vast amounts of fresh air and countryside you can see when moving at a bike's pace - and having a fast enough bike so that I'm not wasting effort on fatter tyres or a heavier frame. And to enjoy the pleasures of food when you're pleasantly exhausted from a long, fat-burning workout.

I don't object to company, but I don't see the attraction of riding in such a big group that your only view is the buttocks in front of you. And I like to stop when I like.

I ride wearing whatever jeans, shorts, t-shirt, wooly hat or jumper I choose for the day. I have no interests in looking good, wearing lycra or shaving any part of my body. I haven't yet figured out the benefits of pedals which stick to my feet but I think I might get there eventually.

Planning on riding the 230ish miles from Cambridge to Swansea in May with a tent and sleeping bag in panniers on a rear rack, enjoying the b-road scenery and pub lunches on the way. Love the outdoors, and I love the speed and lightness of my road bike.

Can anyone relate to this? What are your favourite pub lunches?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can you post this in Cakestop please mate ? Or can I copy it to there, think you may be in the wrong section. :)