Convert an old style Steering stem to a headset

andyj1234uk
andyj1234uk Posts: 46
edited February 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I am currently fixing up an old full suspension bike that has been rescued from landfill. Just wondering if i can change the handlebar stem from the old long bolt with the wedge, into a new headset. Don't want to spend a fortune but wondering if this is possible and how would i go about it.

Thanks

Andy J

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes. new headset,fork,stem and some spacers.

after identifying the headset size. 1" or 1 1/8th
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    edited February 2010
    Yes, stem converter,new stem, spacers. (provided your have 1" forks/headset currently)
    Stem converter
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Profi ... 360036059/
  • nicklouse
    stu8975 wrote:
    Yes, stem converter,new stem, spacers.
    Stem converter
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Profi ... 360036059/

but that only allow the use of a new type of stem.

same headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • stu8975
    Depends what he wants (not too clear)...change handlebar stem into headset? If he just wants to use aheadset style stem (as there are a hell of a lot more options too choose from), then my method, if he wants to use newer style headset+stem, then your method.
  • Thank you for the quick replies. I am not exactly sure which way to go. I have got a set of forks that i will replace the old ones with. These came off a bike which had the full headset and not the old style stem. Reading up on these i would need different tools (headset press etc) which will bump up the cost. The quill adaptor is a very good idea but i admit i would like to convert to the full headset just so that i can learn how they fit together. I have had a hunt around for various guides on how to do this but none seam to clear so i am after some advise with the fitting.

Also i am guessing that with the quill i would still have to use the old bearings and lock nuts.

Again many thanks to all for the quick replies and help offered.

Andy J
  • nicklouse
    first are the steerers the same diameter?

if yes get the LBS to remove the old and fit a suitable new headset and then remove the crown race on the replacement fork and fit the one that comes with the new headset.

fit fork done.

see Parktools for more info.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Get your lbs to fit a new headset. It'll be significantly cheaper than getting a press that you'll only ever use a handful of times in a lifetime. Mine did one for me for about £30, might be even cheaper if you buy the headset from them as well (I didn't and I know they've charged less to friends but I can live with that).
  • stu8975
    Definitely measure the current headset/stem diameter (should be stamped in to the stem shaft) and the new fork diameter, you can't fit newer style 1 1/8" into an old 1" set up.
  • I have been a bit of a spanner. New forks are 1 1/8" and yup you guessed it the frame is 1". Can't you tell i have been away from cycling for a few years :)

Looks like it is going to be the adaptor route to help keep the costs down.

Would like to say a big thank you for all of the help offered.

Cheers

Andy
  • As a last word on this, I took the replacement forks back to my local Halfords for a refund. The forks were from written off stock so they offered me replacement bits to the same value as the forks (£20). So while looking in the various bargin bins i find 2x Quill Adaptors at £1 each. Sometimes it is nice to be lucky :)

The leftover dosh has gone on new bars, bar ends and a stem from said sale bins.