modding a RS totem

cavegiant
cavegiant Posts: 1,546
edited March 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

As some of you will be aware there are no really good long travel 29er forks.

So many people have Modded F36s that they gave a press release telling people it was dangerous (of course they could have just manufactured a F36 29er, but that is there choice).

I am thinking that due to its huge tyre clearance and beefy design the Totem could be a perfect candidate for a 29er fork.

I have done the sums and you should be able to fit a 29er with no machining at all.
So just need to machine mud space =-) and shorten the travel to 150-160 and we are good.

So does anyone have any advice on how to make this work?

As there are going to be a few people who wish to point out the obvious that is invalidates warranty and is dangerous I have created a separate thread for people who think it is a bad idea.
Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Comments

• cavegiant
    I should also add I am not going to be freeriding this fork, just hoping the extra beef will compensate for a thinner arch when doing small drops (few feet at most)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • cavegiant
    so seriously no comments, none?

Are there no 29ers on this forum?
  • wouldn't it be a bit heavy/overkill for a few small drops?

Might as well sell the totem and buy some proper 29er forks.

And there are some pretty good 29er forks out there!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what are you thinking of doing?

lots of words but no mention of what you might do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cavegiant
    What good 6" 29er forks are out there?
    Marzocchi 140mm- made by suntour with suntour quality
    Dorado 150mm- need a bank loan to buy a flexy fork
    WB are the best option, but want to try something new.
    DUC36 - doesn't exist and may never appear.

What else?

I am basically going to do the same mod as the F36.

space the fork down too 150-160mm and raise the bottom out bumper by 1.5".
    Machine a small amount of the arch away to get tyre clearance.

The Totem is WAY stronger than I need, but it has large tyre clearance so can fit an oversize wheel, the design will also be weakened by the mod, so getting stronger than needed is safer. I also think the Totem is an awesome fork, so biased ;-)

If Fox would just make a 29er F36 they would make a ton of sales, but they wont so it is just compromise for us.

p.s. I am very big, so the extra 500g on the front won't mean much to me.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    the zochi isnt that bad, dont be put of by biased, unfair, negative reviews, my 44 is fantastic, bad reviews or no bad reviws...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Is someone on an Internet forum saying it sounds like a good idea really all that you need to convince yourself? Personally I wouldn't be comfortable machining material away from the brace but only RS could properly advise you how much you could get away with and they obviously won't due to liability issues.

It is a bit surprising there's no decent long travel 29er forks out yet but I guess most of the 29er market is rigid or short-travel bikes.
  • nicklouse
    there are 150mm 29er forks out there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Machine the arch?!! That could be catastrophic.

What about fork offset?
  • cavegiant
    Fork offset was a worry, but I treated that like tax, i ignored it and hoped it would go away.

In truth I have no idea how that would affect, it was on my todo list after seeing if it would fit.

Nick I listed the main ones above, what did I miss?
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    If you're having no problem with the extra weight of the Totem why do you go for 29" wheels?

Wouldn't be better going for some 150mm Revelations and save those 700-900g
    on the fork, to compensate the bigger rolling resistance on the 26" wheel?
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    Modifying the fork by removing material is just such a bad idea the phrase "catastrophic failure" comes to mind
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    The perceived wisdom (ok, something I've read in magazines and various Internet corners) seems to be that 29ers don't really need so much travel. The reasoning follows the idea that the larger wheels almost "add equivalent travel" (I assume through extra cushioning and momentum). So, is this not true? Why do you need so much travel on your 29er?

Sorry this is a bit OT. Just curious.
  • cavegiant
    GHill wrote:
    The perceived wisdom (ok, something I've read in magazines and various Internet corners) seems to be that 29ers don't really need so much travel. The reasoning follows the idea that the larger wheels almost "add equivalent travel" (I assume through extra cushioning and momentum). So, is this not true? Why do you need so much travel on your 29er?

Sorry this is a bit OT. Just curious.

The main reason is to match the geometry of my frame, if I stick a 4" fork on there the front will be to low.

Also it means my 6" 29er will roll like an 8" 26er...

Ok just one reason, the top one.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What frame is it? What fork length is it designed for?

A 4" 29er fork will have a greater A2C than a 4" 26" fork
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cavegiant
    Niner WFO, designed for a 6" 29er, so guessing similar AC of 7-8" 26er, hence the looking at Totem
  • OwenBird
    OwenBird Posts: 210
    Sounds like a horrible idea, and loads of sketchy work. Also sounds like you're dead set on it, let us know how it goes.
    SOLD!
  • bails87
    Why not use a 120mm fork, and big tyres?

You could get a 29er Reba at 100mm and extend it to 120mm probably
    MTB/CX

• cavegiant
    because the geo would be thrown off, 4" front, 6" back.

The totem does not fit.....

Now looking at Boxxer or just being a sheep and going all F36
  • bails87
    cavegiant wrote:

120mm is 5 inches.
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    bails87 wrote:
    cavegiant wrote:

120mm is 5 inches.

well closer to 130mm

5" is 127mm
  • bails87
    nicklouse wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    cavegiant wrote:

120mm is 5 inches.

well closer to 130mm

5" is 127mm

It helps if I round up when measuring things in inches :wink:
    MTB/CX

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Hey, don't rule out this option:
    Marzocchi Monsters
    Plenty of tyre clearance, and A2C height.

pbpic4633386.jpg

Just a joke, no fence. :wink:
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    will a 29" wheel even fit under the arch ? didnt think there was 1.5" between the tyre and arch with a 26" , unless your going to fit somthing stupid like a 0.75" tyre then you will have a 28" wheel. but still dont think it will fit.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    no way your getting a 29 in there unless you cut off the arch, extend it and weld it back on 2" higher.
    rockshox-totem-coil.jpg
  • cavegiant
    no way your getting a 29 in there unless you cut off the arch, extend it and weld it back on 2" higher.

Sorry to say you are spot on =-(

The current plan is to mod a 36 TALAS.

Machine half the arch away, then reinforce with carbon fibre.

I will provide pictures when I am done.

p.s. if no pictures in a month assume died in testing