Day off tomorrow - ideas for rides in the South?

squirejim
squirejim Posts: 44
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
hi all - ive been cycling for last 6 months - not literally - but commuting 14 - 20 miles round trip daily. the longest ride ive done at a weekend is 30 miles. im looking to up that tomorrow and maybe do a 50 miler - i live near croydon , but looking to get on a trian and either find a spot a good distance away and then cycle homne or go for a loop in te countryside, reasonably close by - looking for somewhere south . anyone any ideas?

thanks in advance for help.

Cheers
mark

Comments

• do a search on mapmyride.com or similar site. You could get the train to Ashford and cycle home - about 55ish
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    edited February 2010
    The Surrey hills are all you need. Either start from home, or hop on the train down to Redhill. Then you have Box Hill, Leith Hill, Winterfold Lane, Whitedowns and Ranmore Common for hills, and lots of quiet lanes for riding.

Jump on to googlemaps and look for two small villages called Peaslake & Holmbury St. Mary. The countryside round there is fab. :D
  • Have a look at the route for the 2010 Circuit of Kent Sportive. If it was me, I'd get a train to West Malling and then follow the route (80km) back to the station. Job done. Just an idea though.
    http://www.kentcyclosportive.co.uk/route.htm
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Where did you go then? I only ask as it's in my neck of the woods. I got my copy of Cycling Plus through the door this morning and they've published the route for their 2010 Sportive route which looks like a good one, but a bit longer than the 50 miles you were looking to do. Am gutted I'll be away for that one, but will definitely be doing the 2010 Circuit of Kent (unless my 2nd child is late being born/keeps me up all night the night before etc, etc!!!)
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • HI - i worked out a nice little route on mapmyride in the end, so i could satrt at my house and do a loop taking in lingfield racecourse via westerham then back on A22 (bout 35 miles) Postponed it from yesterday, as had blood tetst and was at docs for ages (have another post re aches and poains) and went instead today. Howevr, got halfway up sanderstead hill only about 3 miles in and 650ft ascent, when my legs just wentr. Had absolutley no energy in them swhatsoever. im guessing it maybe to do with stil feeling aching / pains in joints and the painkillers am on, but had to stoip. Usualy i get out of breath but my legs can still work and recover pretty quick but today ive had to turn iut in. not sure if i was warmed up enough , sometimes, i have to go a certrain distance so as i can actually get "into" the ride, today it just wasnt there ...