Average commute????

NEWBIE77
NEWBIE77 Posts: 21
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all

Just interested in how many miles you all do commuting to work and back and how long it takes?

Thinking about increasing my commuting distance to speed up my fitness and weight loss
blk-exercise.png

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Mine's a fairly short one at 3.5 miles each way, but I've done 11 miles each way in past jobs, at 4.30 in the morning, in winter... nice :D

You may want to have a look at this topic

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12681707
  • Thanks for that. Should have looked duuurh. Sorry, still getting used to using the forum as new territory for me :oops:
    blk-exercise.png
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My commute is a 46 mile round trip. I do this 2 shifts out of four, Kent to Essex.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    NEWBIE77 wrote:
    Thanks for that. Should have looked duuurh. Sorry, still getting used to using the forum as new territory for me :oops:

Don't forget to check out Silly Commuting Racing too, all 854 pages of it :lol:
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    3.1mi for me each way, With exception when snow is around and I have to travel, commute 3 or 4 days a week.

Two of those, maybe 3 are longer to get some training in, for example this morning was 30 miles to get in to the office, left home at 6am after having breakfast at 5:10am :S
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    54 mile round trip. 3 times per week in BST.
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Just started using the bike for work. Distance 12 miles, or 15 if I drive. Bike about 50 mins, car about the same in rush hour. Or because i'm unfit train plus bike getting there, then cycle home. Only just started so fingers crossed I should get a bit quicker in the next few weeks!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    11 miles, each way, with one big hill.

45 mins
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,483
    Used to do 15 miles each way, 3 days a week in the summer (had it down to 45 minutes). Going to start again in April, 20 miles each way once or twice a week and the other days 5 miles each way to the train station. The full commute will probably take me 1.5 hours at the moment :oops:
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I used to do 15 miles each way as a youngster and could do it in around 35-40 mins most days with my fastest time of 28 mins one day.I did this all year round, 5 days a week for 3 1/2 years.I was never late once for work even in the roughest winter weather.
    I now have just a 1 1/2 mile commute which I do everyday.Not even a warm up really and guess what....I'm never late.
  • 17 miles each way -4 steep banks.

Only do this March to Oct and 2/3 times per week. 1 hour ish each way
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Mine is 7.2 miles away, so 14.4 miles round trip. Used to seem like a long way but now not far enough as work comes around far tooooo quick!
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Mine is 7.2 miles away, so 14.4 miles round trip. Used to seem like a long way but now not far enough as work comes around far tooooo quick!
  • pretty much bang on 5 miles each way for work and Uni. Work has an evil/heavenly hill each way depending which way your headed =)

15 mins in good weather with low traffic, record 13 mins
    exercise.png
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    12 miles each way with a couple of hills, which takes about 35-40. Easy to chicken out atm though due to the icy conditions at 0700 that we've had lately. Can't do this every day though. I need the motor to get about once I get to work most of the time.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    21 miles each way for me, ideally 2 - 3 days per week but substantially less during these cold wet winter days. Wuss? Yeah.

Anyway, we've got it covered. Here's the Silly Commuting Stats thread over at the other place (only 133 pages though), and here's where you go to join in the Silly Commuting Stats table. We've got mini-leagues and all sorts going on there. You know you have to...

Sign up, stick in the miles you think you've done so far this year on the sign-in page, then keep adding your rides and see how you ascend the table. Addictive is the usual adjective. :wink:

Be aware there are some hardcore mileage fans out there clocking up some serious miles. Lord knows what they'll be up to when it warms up a bit.
  • Mine's about 10-11 miles each way depedent on route. One climb each way n' all. Knight's Hill and South Norwood Hill in SE London.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    About 8 miles each way with some steep hills and long drags thrown in, 2 to 3 times per week.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Mine is a 10.01 mile each way, I round it to 10 for the commuting stats 8) ; it is very addictive.

One steep hill the round trip takes around an hour, plus or minus a couple of minutes.

I've been doing this five days a week in all weathers for the last three years. :D
    JOGLE Cube Aree GTC Pro -DONE
    Summer Commuter Single Speed 90 gear"
    Winter Commuter Badboy Lefty Single Speed
    Hack Lefty with slicks
    Dirty Lefty Taurine
    Giant FCR2 not compact anymore + mods. STOLEN.
  • 13 miles each way
    About 50-55 minutes each way on winter bike (old single speed)

Should be closer to 45 minutes on summer bike (Specialized Allez Elite)

No serious hills , steepest bits are a few bridges over various railways

2-3 days a week in winter, 3-4 days in summer.

Mike
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    14 miles each way, 45-60 minutes depending on fitness/wind, only 200m of climbing each way.
  • 20 miles each way. 4 times a week. One hour ten best time but averaging around 1:20 :roll: .

Nothing too bad to hurt the body. Just two hills: South Norwood going out and Camberwell Grove comming home! I guess Mile End Road upto the hospital is the worst due to idiotic drivers rushing to get home at night.

I hit 1000 miles next week for the year so not all bad. (Oh and I've lost 14kg [2.2St] since Oct '09). :D
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    9 miles each way, pretty hilly + 3 "training runs" per week while at work of 25 miles
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    just under 4 miles each way.....mostly flat. Trying to beat the holy grail of sub 10 mins..but traffic / traffic lights keeping getting in the way. cycle every day unless ice on roads.

In the evening I usually take longer routes home - doing anything upto 20 miles with a few hills involved.
  • What is considered an acceptable distance to get lycra'd?

2 times a week, 16 miles in (50 minutes), 11 miles back (just under 40).
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    9 miles each way from North London right into Victoria.

Takes about 35 - 40 minutes on my single speed (42:16) stopping for lights etc and tehre's about one gazillion of them on the way in.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    24 kilometers each way, usually two or 3 times a week. Takes about 50 minutes each way.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Sign up, stick in the miles you think you've done so far this year on the sign-in page, then keep adding your rides and see how you ascend the table. Addictive is the usual adjective. :wink:

Be aware there are some hardcore mileage fans out there clocking up some serious miles. Lord knows what they'll be up to when it warms up a bit.
    [/quote]
    Thanks for that it sounds great - i will take a look. Some of you have some serious commutes.I reckon I would be asleep come 3pm :lol: [/quote]
    blk-exercise.png
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    mines 9 miles each way 35 minutes each way on the MTB at the moment...

I cant wait to get my Allez or Defy :D
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    12 miles each way, although I'll often extend a little bit. Generally aim for at least 100 miles a week!