Which bike: Trance X vs Stumpy FSR vs Whyte 120 ?

FransJacques
FransJacques Posts: 2,148
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Pls help with a bike I'll ride mainly in Dorking and Wales. It's my first dual sus bike, I'm coming off an Alu Cannondale w/Headshok.

I'm 6" and 85kgs and like climbing and fast singletrack so enjoy great handling but I'm really scared on downhills so I want something confidence boosting - that means stiff front end and good tracking forks and rear suspension to smooth the bumps. I like a long horizontal position on the bike but I know I have to modify that to fit this type of bike and riding style as I get into it. I like light feeling bikes.

I tend to keep bikes forever (the Cannondale is a '99) so an upgradable platform is nice. I know the Whyte is a bit more expensive but your opinions may be - take the Giant at any spec because it's so good and the Spesh isn't much better. Or take the Whyte because it's suspension design is the future, etc. Basically looking for something as future proof as possible that I can enjoy as I change forks and wheels etc. for a long time to come

Any personal experience is a plus. Questions:
- are bolt trough axles superior to normal quick release?
- the Spec has a 1.25" lower bearing, does this make a difference?
- the Whyte & Spec have carbon frames, are they automatically better than Alu?
- I don't love heavy bikes

The choices:
Trance X2: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 269&z=2647
Stumpy FSR Expert: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec016442
Whyte: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2010
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.

Comments

• eeerm whyte if you want a bike for a while....

the other two will seem dated pretty quickly whereas the whyte is a classic
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Giant or Whyte for me. Although I'd try them out first...
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Not ridden the Trance X, but I like my old Trance.
  • Thanks guys, is there anything else in the 120-125mm range I should be looking at? What else is the flavour du jour? Thanks again.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I used to have a Trance, and it was a great bike, the Maestro system worked a treat and it was a good, light XC machine.

The stumpy is a brilliant bike, and I really enjoyed the test rides I've had on a few of those..

But, my mate I ride with (over the Surrey Hills) has an 08 E-120, and loves it. I've ridden that a few times too, and IMO, it's easily the best of the 3! He is over Pitch/Leith/Holmbury quite often, and it takes all of the abuse they have to offer mate. Light as a cloud, but pricey!

At that price however, you could be talking Ibis Mojo, SC Blur etc...
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    Whyte, i have a trance X3 and cant really reccomend it, decent bike if your a good rider and dont hit every baby head to see
  • Phonk7 - you say you *can't* recommend a Trance X? What's the failings of it in you opinion? thanks
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    Phonk7 - you say you *can't* recommend a Trance X? What's the failings of it in you opinion? thanks
    Well i personally cant reccomend it but if your a smoother/better rider than me (not very hard :) ) then it would be a great bike. I have bent the rear disc, both wheels (to the extent that i can no longer true them without taking the wheel out of round and had to buy a new pair) and smashed up the rear derailur. This is from a combination of smaller drop offs (5-6ft), medium ish jumps and rocky natural trails.
    So if you do any of the above dont buy the bike, if you dont then its an awesome bike (it just doesnt have an awesome rider)