What torque?

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited February 2010 in Workshop
I have just changed my bars and stem... Something I've done quite a few times, but what is the torque required on the stem cap bolt?
Also, what should Shimano cassette lock rings be torqued to?
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Do not torque the stem cap bolt. It is just to adjust the bearings so should be just tight enough to remove any play. The stem clamp bolts lock everything together when you tighten them. Once these are tight the stem cap bolt only holds the cap on and serves no other purpose.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    like John says - a torque setting is not relevant for the cap bolt - just nip it up enough to remove play in the headset (and maybe another 1/8 turn for good measure) and then tighten the stem clamp bolts...
  • cassette lockrings should be 40Nm, but tbh just do them up bloody tight.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    softlad wrote:
    like John says - a torque setting is not relevant for the cap bolt - just nip it up enough to remove play in the headset (and maybe another 1/8 turn for good measure) and then tighten the stem clamp bolts...
    +1.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    cassette lockrings should be 40Nm, but tbh just do them up bloody tight.
    That's what I thought, but having removed two this week (without any effort), I thought I'd question it.
    John.T wrote:
    Do not torque the stem cap bolt. It is just to adjust the bearings so should be just tight enough to remove any play. The stem clamp bolts lock everything together when you tighten them. Once these are tight the stem cap bolt only holds the cap on and serves no other purpose.

As I thought, but thanks for confirming it is just a preload system. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!