freehub prob

mebake
mebake Posts: 28
edited February 2010 in Workshop
Hi there, my bike has been running lovely, I gave it a good clean on sunday, got on my bike this morning, and the mavic campag freehub (on mavic aksium) is freely spinning (both ways).
Is it normal that they go like this. Is there anything that could of come out of place, or have I just got to get a new one fitted???
It just seems a bit wierd, to have gone without warning!

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I would imagine a faltering freehub would be begin to slip/stick/slip/stick (if you get what I mean) rather than becoming able to spin 'freely' in the wrong direction.

When you gave your bike this good clean, how far did you go? Did you remove the cassette?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mebake
    No. just removed the wheel to give the cassette a clean, all seemed well!!!!
    Bizarre.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's not freehub's fault he's got problems.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mebake
    I have just noticed the lock nut is not fully tightened.
    Is there a chance, if the lock nut has come slightly loose the cassette will spin, or do you think something else is wrong?
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    The pawls in the freehub can go without warning.
    You need to remove the axel in order to remove the freehob body.Inside you will find a couple of tiny springs which push a couple of small metal like clips, these are the pawls.
    Either the springs have gone or the pawls.
    A good clean can also work if crud has built up from winter riding.This can cause it to stick and remain in the closed position
  • mebake
    I have just been looking at these pawls,
    as the locknut & axle nutts were all a bit loose, I was wondering if it was possible for the springs to almost fall over, so the pawls close a little?? anyway I have cleaned it all and put it back together, all seems fine. Just one thing, I was unsure how much to tighten the two nuts when putting the freehub back on, I have just given it a bit of pressure. If anybody can confirm this is okay that would be great.
    So its fingers crossed, nothing happens again when I,m miles from home.
    At least I know where to look if something happens again.

Cheers all
  • strip, (the hub)

degrease

clean of degreaser (thouroughly)

grease

re assemble

enjoy