Suntour forks: piece of sh1t or not that good - discuss

2»

Comments

• Dirtydog11 wrote:
    I've still got my XC60 on my hack bike. They fill with water, rust like hell, but still work...just.

They're the ones I had and they're not serviceable. Have you considered what the inside of that fork must be like.

I bet that rust is eating through your stantions. Nah...... I'm sure they be alright.

You've got me paranoid now, I kept looking at the forks all through my commute instead of the road :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • just undo the bottom allen key bolts and pull them apart, drain out the water, and greas everything well. shou;d get them going again for a bit.....

this, coupled with this: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/v ... ides-24499

should see those forks pretty much good as new. because theyre not that high spec means that they are stupidly easy to service. my gt avalance came with suntour x100's and i think theyre fine.
  • Suntour Epicon on my bike seems great. No issues at all and very smooth. My first air fork, and better than my previous (old and outdated) spring rockshox.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    Specialeyes said:
    "Same on my 2010 hardrock! Tried to find them online but they dont even show on the suntour website. Maybe One of those cases where parts are subcontracted to other companies and a few stickers are applied, like my "cane creek" headset made on behalf of cane creek by another company!"

there is an exploded view in the 2008 workshop book, you might have a newer model but doubt its changed much:

http://www.srsuntour-tuning-base.com/in ... tingID=125
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    I've still got my XC60 on my hack bike. They fill with water, rust like hell, but still work...just.

They're the ones I had and they're not serviceable. Have you considered what the inside of that fork must be like.

I bet that rust is eating through your stantions. Nah...... I'm sure they be alright.

You've got me paranoid now, I kept looking at the forks all through my commute instead of the road :wink:

:lol::wink:
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    I've got a set of sr suntour xcr Lo's leaning against the wall next to me, which will magically turn into £20 tomorow, when i sell them to my friend. They're ok forks, with lockout and preload but the springs are a bit stiff for my weight and they aren't adjustable as well as air forks and weigh quite a bit, so i've replaced them with rockshox recon race 09 which are amazing for the price (got them for £150, down from £380 at the wiggle sale). They are better than rs dart 2's which cost £50 more, so they are godd for they're price, but obviously not as good as recons or toras. if you are upgrading from xcr's get at least recons, rebas if you have the money, with toras, particurlarly coil ones you won't notice an amazing difference.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will notice a difference with Toras - they are exactly the same as Recons except the upper tubes.
  • I had Suntour XCT on a Giant Boulder. They lasted about a year. Completely seized up. Nothing that I or the bike shop could do. Apparently they are worse in the winter.
    All I do is roads, tracks and bridleways so it's not as if they are getting batttered.
    Luckily under warranty, so I'm getting them replaced with an XCM which are hopefully a lot better.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I had Suntour XCT on a Giant Boulder. They lasted about a year. Completely seized up. Nothing that I or the bike shop could do. Apparently they are worse in the winter.

out of interest, what travel were those?
  • I had Suntour XCT on a Giant Boulder. They lasted about a year. Completely seized up. Nothing that I or the bike shop could do. Apparently they are worse in the winter.

out of interest, what travel were those?

80mm when i bought them. 0mm after a year. :wink:
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I know there were different XCTs put on different Boulders. Mine had 100mm travel but they were on a 08 Boulder Trail and while the forks weren't exactly subtle, they worked and worked even better when they had new seals and spring - I've battered mine to death and they still run. Most of these forks are OE spec'd (certainly on the Giants) so it's no surprise the wide varying results I guess.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Bluemoon39 wrote:
    Turn bike upside down and keep pushing/pumping the front wheel up and down, mine squirted loads of water out ot the top seals.

My XCM is becoming very stiff and I tried this and it made a big difference in how the fork feels. Thanks.