Allez Sport plus upgrades or Allez Elite?

Monkeypump
Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
I'd be tempted to shell out the extra cash and get the Elite.

And if it's through the cycle scheme, you won't pay the full £120...

Comments

• How much for them to swap the shifters to 105 10 speed, needs a new cassette and a chain as well, not hugely expensive. I would think less than £200 extra on top of the £600 and you`re well on the way to a great spec bike. Just swapping the shifters from 9 speed Sora to 9 speed Tiagra isn`t worth the money IMO.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • I'd stick with the standard. After a few months you might find you don't want or need to upgrade it but should you want to you can probably do it fairly cheaply.

I've got an 09 Allez18 and to be the honest the only thing that I felt was worth upgrading were the brakes.
  • IMO after a decent saddle, to next best upgrade is the wheels. You`ll always notice the difference :)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • IMO after a decent saddle, to next best upgrade is the wheels. You`ll always notice the difference :)

I have a 2.5 year old Allez and the spesh BG saddle is fine (for me), I want an Arione, just because :oops: but its not at the top of my list. I replaced the wheels with open pros on 105 hubs and the tyres with schwalbe stelvio plus. The 105 hubs are much better and the rims dont flex anymore, now wish I had gone Ultegra hubs, again just because.

Now onto the shifters :lol: . There was another thread on them recently which I didnt get involved in :P I can change up in the drops, it a matter of simply bending my wrist until my thumb can reach the lever. However, Im not that keen on doing it at nearly 30mph in London knowing the moment I increase the distance between my fingers & the front brake lever then thats when some knob head will coming flying out of a corner in front of me :shock: so I dont try to change and have ended up spinning out in the wrong gear. Although that hasnt happened on anything like enough occasions for me to "need" to change them.

I cant imagine that a 105 front derailleur will trim any better than my Sora does or that upgrading from tiagra at the rear will be noticably quicker or smoother either. It has a sora crank, 105 would Im quite sure be an improvement over this. Finally, I havent changed the callipers yet. This though, is down to me upgrading my perfectly functional components to probably 105 this year. I have just remembered, I said that last this time last year.

Sorry for not being much help at all :lol: .