Shoes hitting pedal arms

bigbeezer
bigbeezer Posts: 80
edited February 2010 in Workshop
Hi folks,
i got a new road bike but my shoes keep rubbing against the pedal arms,i have never had this before on any of my bikes, it is a giant tcr and i love it but i can't take any more of this,i said to the guy in my bike shop and he said it will just be the cleat position or float,i have played around with both of these and it is not fixing it,the only time my shoes dont't rub against the arm are when i push my feet to the edge of the pedals,is there any way i can fix this problem?

Cheers

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You'd need 14mm pedal spindles in order to do this, but you could fit 2mm of washer between the pedal and the crank arm.

If you have standard 12mm spindles, then I'm sure there are adapters you can buy to extend the spindle length and distance of pedal from crank.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    My vote goes to poor cleat positioning.
  • WHS ^^^^^ can`t you move the cleats right across in their slots to their furthest position inwards ? What shoes and pedals are you using?
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    I hae a similar problem with my look delta cleats. I have cx7s which have q factor adjustment, which is fine, but my winter bike has cheaper pedals and I do get rubung on the crank arm.

There is another thread going on at the mo in workshop similar to your problem which may be of help
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    My shoes rub on the crankarms, because of correct cleat positioning. Not much you can do about it if you are slightly duck footed.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • WHS ^^^^^ can`t you move the cleats right across in their slots to their furthest position inwards ? What shoes and pedals are you using?

It's look pedals and cleats and specalized shoes mate.i have always had shimano pedals and also used these shoes with no bother at all with them.
  • Probably the Look pedals and cleats then. I use Shimano cleats and pedals, and they seem to have quite a lot of adjustment capability, `specially sideways.

Did see some spindle extender things somewhere,once, as mentioned above, but increasing the length of the spindles seems a bit extreme and maybe bad engineering, due to the bending forces involved?

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Highpath Engineering for pedal spindle extenders, but not very elegant as they add about 20mm
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dennisn
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Highpath Engineering for pedal spindle extenders, but not very elegant as they add about 20mm

Whoa, 20mm??? Wow. I didn't know something like that existed, but I guess it would have it's uses in certain cases.
  • dennisn wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Whoa, 20mm??? Wow. I didn't know something like that existed, but I guess it would have it's uses in certain cases.

Like when you had the cleats screwed on 90 degrees out ?? :shock:

• It's not weird to ride heels in, it's like being left handed! I thought I was weird until I sold my bike to a pal, I explained there was a bit of wear on the crank arms, when he saw it, he was overjoyed to know he wasn't the only one!

Embrace your diversity Sir, there are many like you, and as far as I know, it hasn't had any kind of detrimental effect on my cycling.
    I want to come back as Niki Gudex's seat
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    I'm using Look Keo Sprint pedals with Specialized shoes also, heels in and no major problems.

My positioning is with the cleats as far to the inside as possible and I'm also using the Keo 'red' cleats with lots of float, so quite easy for my heels to turn to a position where they clip the chainstay if I'm not careful and have done a couple of times but no real evidence of wear or rubbing on the crank arms even with overshoes.

I believe Speedplay make extended axels for their pedal range - expensive when I looked into it though as you have to buy the standard pedals then purchase a new set of axels on top.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • It's not my heels that are hitting the crank arm,it's the front of my shoe at the side of my big toe.also the cleats aren't at any crazy angle's or anything like that.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    As mentioned above try and move your cleats as far towards the inside of your shoes as possible and if that doesn't work you could also install some spacers between the axel and crank. Specialty alu spacers can be had in 1mm, 2mm, etc. increments or just get some standard washers from your local hardware supply store. Try unscrewing the pedal axel 1mm at a time and take a very short spin to see if it helps any to determine spacer size.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    bigbeezer wrote:
    It's not my heels that are hitting the crank arm,it's the front of my shoe at the side of my big toe.also the cleats aren't at any crazy angle's or anything like that.

It sounds like a cleat position problem. Clip a shoe on to the pedal and post a pic of the clearance and also of the cleat on the shoe. I wear specialized shoes (46) and use looks and I've got about 5mm clearance.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What size feet / shoes have you got??
  • keef66 wrote:
    What size feet / shoes have you got??

Size 11 mate.
  • dennisn
    nmcgann wrote:
    bigbeezer wrote:
    It's not my heels that are hitting the crank arm,it's the front of my shoe at the side of my big toe.also the cleats aren't at any crazy angle's or anything like that.

It sounds like a cleat position problem.

+1 Sounds to me like you have done something wrong. Have you ever done this before??
    Have you read the instructions????
  • As mentioned above try and move your cleats as far towards the inside of your shoes as possible

: :D

Problem solved!

thanks for all your help lads!
  • :roll: