Poor old Rock Racing

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2010 in Pro race
In a world where Footon is in the Pro Tour, they can't even get a Conti gig

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/still-n ... ock-racing
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Good. The quicker they are out of this sport the better.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    That Michael Ball was a piece of work...

Would people put RR down with the Linda McCartney team as all time pro-cycling disasters?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Lampre still in limbo too, then? At the rate the UCI usually works, they might get a 2010 license by the time Lombardia rolls around.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    The most amazing quote (that seems to sum up everything I've read about him):

"Nothing. No one speaks. I called Michael Ball, the team owner, but he does not answer his cell phone...” said Oscar Sevilla.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Don't know whether to laugh or cry for them, to be honest.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Good. The quicker they are out of this sport the better.

Absolutely, there should be no place for dopers who've served their sentence in this sport :twisted:

Strava is not Zen.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    calvjones wrote:
    Good. The quicker they are out of this sport the better.

Absolutely, there should be no place for dopers who've served their sentence in this sport :twisted:

In fairness it was a bit more than that wasn't it. He assembled a who's who of dopers just to flip the finger.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Ball is a strange dude -- yeah, he collected a number of victories via the dopers, but he could have created a team from the bottom up that would have lasted.

Hate to see you go, get the hell out...

He will not be missed.
  • Yeah, Ball could have assembled a lasting team. But that scenario would only have worked if Ball truly was in it for the sport. But I think it looks more like Ball is in it for Ball. He was always looking for a marketing hook or gimmick. When Bahati signed on it was because Ball was supposedly all about 'giving back' - really. Bahati was all about trying to bring something positive into his home area and that was a good match. Not for long......

It seemed like Ball decided he wasn't getting enough of a bump up from his self proclaimed good works, so he became the 'Team of Second Chances' and was all about giving people, ostensibly dopers, that second chance. I believe that was the publicly stated reason he hired on so many, even recruited so many. I even read or heard something once that said that Ball had been given a second chance in the criminal court system himself, but I really never read any confirmation of that. I guess I will just assume the roll of extremely vocal Ball detractor. I've been in that roll for a while.

Now I just want to be the kid whining to Mommy.... "Make it stop! Make it stop" - just let them go away