Busted bike...In need of help!

iRider
iRider Posts: 33
edited February 2010 in Workshop
I am new to Road cycling, and have just bought a Trek 2.1 two days ago, which has '105 STI shifters' and 'Jagwire L3' cables.

Whilst i was changing gear the gear cable which goes to the front mech suddenly went slack.
I've had a look, and to be perfectly honest, i have no idea of how, or what has happened.

I'm going to take i back to my LBS, but would appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me on how this happened, and what may be broken or 'out of place' etc..

Thanks!
"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever."
Lance Armstrong

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    probably something really simple like the bolt attaching it to the mech. wasn't done up tightly, so the cable has wormed its way out when its under tension.

Have a look where the cable attaches, the bolt clamping it to the mech might appear to be nice and tight. Undo it, pull the loose cable tight (eg with a pair of pliers) and do the bolt up again.

It may need trimming again (with the barrel adjusters) but if it mostly works then that's was the problem.
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    If your going to take the bike to the shop it would be a good idea to let them point out what has gone wrong then in the future if the same thing reoccurs on the road you may be able to effect a repair to get yourself home. It is quite helpful to be able to do basic repairs (like fixing a flat tyre) whilst out on the road, it would be a shame to have to cut your rides short by having to call for help every time you have a slight mechanical problem. Mr-si has probably given the correct diagnosis.