Is it worth changing my bike for this???

manimal
manimal Posts: 434
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
Could i have some opinions please?
I am currently riding(my first road bike) an 09 Giant defy 4 of which the specs are:

Frame: AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid Formed, Compact Road Design
Fork: Advanced Composite Overdrive, 11/4"" - 11/8"" aluminium steerer
Cranks: Truvativ Touro C2.0 39/53
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ cartridge
Pedals: Wellgo road
Front Derailleur: Shimano 2200
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 2200
Shifters: Shimano 2200 16 speed STI
Cassette: Shimano HG50 12-25
Chain: KMC Z7-8
Hubs: Formula RB31/32
Rims: Double wall aluminium 700c
Tyres: Kenda Kriterium L3R 700x25mm
Brakes: Tektro R310 Dual pivot
Brake Levers: Shimano 2200 STI
Handlebar: 6061 Aluminium Anatomic
Stem: 6061 Forged Aluminium
Saddle: Giant Performance Road
Seat Post: 6061 Aluminium

I have been offered a 7005 Ribble Aluminium with Campagnolo black Mirage Groupset, Mavic Aksium Wheels, Shimano 105 pedals, 175mm Cranks, 53/39 Chainset, 12/23 Cassette .

I should get the ribble for a similar amount to what i can sell the Giant for, the question is will it be a better bike?

Im after upgrading but havent got much to play with, i just saw this as maybe a cheap upgrade?

Any advice gratefully accepted!!!

Comments

• I couldnt cope with that gear range, lowest is 39/23 So might have to pop a new cassette on there, I certainly would.

I would be tempted to do it based on the wheels, but I dont know much in relation to the groupset? From my understanding its campags base range, that they have now dropped? (I might be wrong on the last bit)
  • Groupset will be better too, 10 gears at the back in stead of 8 will offger lower jumps between the gears, never used 2200 but it's lower than Sora on the hierarchy of Shimano groupsets. I would change if it was me (depending on the milage, do you know how much it's been used?)
  • manimal
    I couldnt cope with that gear range, lowest is 39/23 So might have to pop a new cassette on there, I certainly would.

I would be tempted to do it based on the wheels, but I dont know much in relation to the groupset? From my understanding its campags base range, that they have now dropped? (I might be wrong on the last bit)

Thanks for that fella,i currentlly have 39/23 on my giant but as you say it wouldnt harm to change the cassette.
    From what ive googled about the campag some people compare it to the tiagra, others say its not far off 105 which seems much better than the bargain basement 2200 on the giant.

As you said i was considering it on the groupset and wheels alone.
  • manimal
    Groupset will be better too, 10 gears at the back in stead of 8 will offger lower jumps between the gears, never used 2200 but it's lower than Sora on the hierarchy of Shimano groupsets. I would change if it was me (depending on the milage, do you know how much it's been used?)

Its not been used much at all mate, its in immaculate nick as well.Im very tempted!
  • Definately go for it then. Does the 2200 use a little thumb button type thing similar to Sora? If so then i tjhink you'll find the Mirage a pretty noticable upgrade. :)
  • manimal
    Definately go for it then. Does the 2200 use a little thumb button type thing similar to Sora? If so then i tjhink you'll find the Mirage a pretty noticable upgrade. :)

yeah it does use the thumb button,could you tell me why i will notice a difference as not having ridden a campag bike i wouldnt know?
    cheers
  • Only through what i've read on here but apparently the Campag is set up as easier to use ie you can shift comfortably while in the drops, it will also be lighter i think which you probably wont notice but the shifts should be more 'positive' and the extra gears on the back make the jumps between the gears less noticable.

EDIT; The Campag also uses a thumb button but is just designed better as far as i know...