Did I bonk?

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I've never bonked on a ride (largely because I don't ride all that far and I eat a lot). However, I had a funny turn this morning and was wondering if it was due to the bonk. Briefly, I've not ridden for 5 days due to poor weather. I went out this am, it was cold (about 7 degrees). I was warm enough and had eaten a banana and had a drink, as usual, before going out. I'd done only 14km along my normal route and just reached the top of a climb I've done before with no problems (about 1.5km at an average of 10-12%). When I reached the top I felt nauseous and a bit dizzy. Stopped for 10 mins and had some crackers and a juice drink and felt OK again, though legs were lacking their usual zip.
So, does this sound like a bonk or am I going to die from something else? Answers on a postcard, please..

Ta.
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Sounds like bonk to me.

Or if you had too much gear on (to combat the cold) you may have sweated and dehydrated a little.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    In my experience, it would take more than 14km and a 5-10 minute climb to completely burn all of your energy stores, unless you ate virtually nothing the day before.

The dizzyness sounds like it could be dehydration to me. Do you drink a couple of hours before you go out?
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Bhima wrote:
    In my experience, it would take more than 14km and a 5-10 minute climb to completely burn all of your energy stores, unless you ate virtually nothing the day before.

The dizzyness sounds like it could be dehydration to me. Do you drink a couple of hours before you go out?

+1
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    edited February 2010
    pottssteve wrote:
    So, does this sound like a bonk...
    I think you'd be pushing it to bonk riding very hard for less than 90 minutes or moderately hard for less than 3 hours, so - no!
    pottssteve wrote:
    ... or am I going to die from something else?
    Eventually - yes, in the next couple of days - hopefully not, though you might feel a bit rough if you've caught a bug! :wink:
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Drink what though, that is the question :P
  • You might have a virus of some sort
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • sounds like a mild bonk , if you ever have a full one you,ll never forget it, in 16,000 miles ive had only one full blown one on a 56 mile ride , first 45 miles ave sp 17 mph last 11 miles ave sp about 8 mph had to stop nearly every mile i could hardly turn the pedals on the flat, still i learnt from that and now always carry a couple of gels or energy bars even if its only a short ride and always eat before i go out
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    You know you've properly bonked when you can't ride any further so stop and put your foot down, and crumple because you haven't even got the energy to stand up. Great fun.
  • pottssteve
    Thanks for the opinions/info, chaps.

It sounds like a combination of things; I'd eaten well the day before but had only drunk about 150ml before I set off (I get up at 5.45am and am out the door by 6). So it might have been dehydration, though during the summer I ride in 28 degree heat with few problems. When the wife got up she said she felt a bit cr@p today so we may have some sort of virus as well. I'll be out again on Tuesday so a couple of days off should do the trick.

Happy weekend riding!

Steve
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Seven degrees isn`t cold, it`s about zero over here.
    Sounds like a bug to me, the risks of dehydration tend to be exaggerated.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    It doesn't sound like you bonked to me. If you had you would have gone straight home and sat lethargic on the sofa eating like a stoner with a bad case of the munchies!

Sounds to me like you have a virus and you went too hard up what sounds like a reasonable incline!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Ok, I'm going to take the bait. What is bonk and should I get one?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    A bonk is when you completely drain your energy resourses and literally have nothing left.

Away from cycling bonking is great though :lol:
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Roscobob wrote:
    A bonk is when you completely drain your energy resourses and literally have nothing left.

Away from cycling bonking is great though :lol:

Thank you.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I agree with everyone who says you didn't bonk, it's essentially impossible to get through all your glycogen stores in the ride you described, unless you'd not eaten for days.

Were you wearing a HR monitor? Did you stop suddenly at the top having been previously all out? A sudden drop in heart rate, and the associated change in blood pressure can cause dizziness if you stop exercising hard and immediately go to rest. It's a good reason never to stop after a hard effort but to have a slight cool down first.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • 14k seems very short time to bonk, especially since you ate before leaving. The shortest I have boknked was 20miles and was after only a few rides on a road bike. I usually bonk after 60 if I haven't eaten.

A few weeks ago I felt fine after 30 miles, got off to adjust my tights :wink: and suddenly felt light headed and dizzy. I waited a few mins, it subsided and I carried on for 25 miles with no problems. I wasn't ill and nothing appeared in the following days. My advice (not being a doctor) would be not to worry and you did the right thing by getting off.

That said, as has been mentioned, you may be on the way to a cold or something. :D
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,993
    too soon to bonk - bet its the start of a virus
  • For your sake, I hope it doesn't turn out to be MAN FLU!!!! Despite what all women say, All of us men know it to be a killer.

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • pottssteve
    For your sake, I hope it doesn't turn out to be MAN FLU!!!! Despite what all women say, All of us men know it to be a killer.

I hope so too - I had it before and nearly DIED!

jibberjim - an interesting point. That hadn't occurred to me. I wasn't wearing a heart monitor but from previous experience I know my pulse is around 125bpm when I get to the top. I do stop there - it's a dead end and I double back. I usually have a rest on the helicopter pad before heading back down, so maybe I should do a few loops of the big "H" before I stop! Thanks once again for the advice; I'll be back out on Tuesday, after a little rest to see off any bugs...
    Steve
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    If your HR monitor logged the data, look to see if the dizziness was accompanied by a larger drop than usual when stopped and resting there, if it was, then it's quite likely to be related and a cool down will solve it.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • pottssteve
    jibberjim wrote:
    If your HR monitor logged the data, look to see if the dizziness was accompanied by a larger drop than usual when stopped and resting there, if it was, then it's quite likely to be related and a cool down will solve it.

Thanks. I currently don't own a HR monitor, I use a watch and two fingers(!) to count my pulse. I'll certainly build in a bit of cool down though before I stop totally.

Steve
  • Only 125? what is this 'hill'? The other and best option is to turn around, and rest on the way down. Don't stop. After a few times you won't think twice about it.

• pottssteve
    Only 125? what is this 'hill'? The other and best option is to turn around, and rest on the way down. Don't stop. After a few times you won't think twice about it.

I didn't say how fast (or how slow) I was going! Here's the hilly bit of the ride:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/hong-kong ... 2022939139

I'll try it again tomorrow and see what happens.....

Steve
  • Sounds like lymphatic node misalignment syndrome caused by over exertion of the nebulas gland to me… Best way to deal with that is find something very expensive to buy at Wiggle. :D
  • pottssteve
    stonehouse wrote:
    Sounds like lymphatic node misalignment syndrome caused by over exertion of the nebulas gland to me… Best way to deal with that is find something very expensive to buy at Wiggle. :D

Funny you should mentions lymph nodes... Hands up who suggested a virus? I rode into work this morning, still feeling under the weather. Having a shower I noticed that my armpits are tender - classic sign of infection. So big tick and gold star for those who went for the "bug" option. You're probably qualified to work for NHS Direct...
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    pottssteve wrote:
    stonehouse wrote:
    Sounds like lymphatic node misalignment syndrome caused by over exertion of the nebulas gland to me… Best way to deal with that is find something very expensive to buy at Wiggle. :D

Funny you should mentions lymph nodes... Hands up who suggested a virus? I rode into work this morning, still feeling under the weather. Having a shower I noticed that my armpits are tender - classic sign of infection. So big tick and gold star for those who went for the "bug" option. You're probably qualified to work for NHS Direct...

To be honest I would have put my life savings on it, as there's no way you'd bonk after 17km unless you were under the weather. You have about 1 and a half to 2 hours worth of glycogen on a full tank. That is, assuming you had been eating well beforehand, which you stated you had.
  • Interesting for me to read this thread.

I'm new to cycling but have done a fair bit of running. A long run for me would be a half marathon distance, which would take me about 1.45. In doing that I would drink plenty before hand but wouldn't worry about drinking or eating on route.

I did a 3 hour cycle ride today though, by far the longest route I have ridden, on a fairly hilly course and when I got to 2.5 hours it took me into physical territory I hadn't experienced when running. I lost all power and felt slightly light headed. I managed to drag myself back home and then felt a massive need to hit the biscuit jar. I could tell from my saliva that compared with running in summer I wasn't particularly dehydrated.

Whether it was the bonk or just a queston of not being used to phsical effort for that duration I am not sure. It took me the rest of the day to feel right again though so whenI go out for that duration again I will make sure I take some energy food with me.
  • having experienced my first bonk (on a bike!) recently - you really dont need to ask if you bonked because when you do, you will know it. It was so bad I could hardly turn the pedals....and I was riding on a gravel path in an easy gear! I'm just glad I experienced it close to home and in relative safety - I would not want to bonk far away from home.
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    Beno2010 wrote:
    I did a 3 hour cycle ride today though, by far the longest route I have ridden, on a fairly hilly course and when I got to 2.5 hours it took me into physical territory I hadn't experienced when running. I lost all power and felt slightly light headed. I managed to drag myself back home and then felt a massive need to hit the biscuit jar. I could tell from my saliva that compared with running in summer I wasn't particularly dehydrated.

Whether it was the bonk or just a queston of not being used to physical effort for that duration I am not sure.
    That was almost certainly a bonk (although you didn't fully bottom out). 2.5 hours is a pretty long time to go without eating when exercising fairly hard. Our body has a limited amount of quickly usable glucose. When that's burned off, you go to fat metabolism which can't produce energy very quickly. As a result, you don't have enough energy to properly fuel your legs and brain. As a general rule, you should eat during the ride when riding for more than 2 hours and then eat something after the first hour, since your body needs time to digest the food.
  • Did you breathe well going up the climb? Sounds like a bit of oxygen starvation to the old brain cells and it would attribute to your dead legs as they would be screaming out for o2 to remove the lactic bulld up.