Pressure washer?

Ben GT
Ben GT Posts: 25
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I was at Delamere Forest for a ride at the weekend. They have a pressure washer to clean your bike when you are done- are these ok to use?

I am worried about oil on the chain/ rust etc.....

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    oil on your chain and rust should be the least of your worries,,

forcing water and degreaser/bike cleaner past your bearing seals(bottom bracket hubs headset)/ pivots if you have a full susser would be mine....

i personally would never use a pressure washer on my bike or car for that matter.. whats wrong with a good old sponge or brush set and elbow grease...

if you do use one don't get to close and avoid spraying the jet directly near the hubs headset and bb.. and around the pivots,, you should be ok...
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    +1 with that. Pet hate of mine pressure washers low pressure or not
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Not ideal for all the reasons above, althoug there seems to be one at every trail centre now.

If you HAVE to use it, stand well back, if the spray is wide enough it will be almost a heavy mist from 2-3 meters back.
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    +2, never used them n never will. Although I'm sure someone will come along n say they use them often and never had any problems... :?
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I use a Mobi washer - low pressure, contains own water, runs from mains or car battery. Great for getting the bikes clean before putting back in the car, things would be very messy otherwise. The pressure is too low to cause any problems.
  • +3 for not using a pressure washer.

Use the hose pipe feeding the pressure washer.
  • Grindy
    Grindy Posts: 25
    I use a pressure washer everytime my bike gets covered in mud. Great for cleaning muck off the tyres, wheels, frame, chain rings and chain. Very quick and very easy. Like the others have said, stay away from bearings, seals and linkages and try to use from at least a metre away. I've never had a problem with bearing/seal failure or corrosion. Just lube everything when you've dried off the bike.

Don't fear the pressure washer!