Full face for trail riding?

slimboyjim
slimboyjim Posts: 367
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi all!

I know that you'll all probably think it's overkill, but after 2 days in hospital with facial injuries I'm seriously considering a full face for trail riding. Only think that puts me off is that they might get REALLY hot in the summer?

My question is how hot are they?

I've got to get a new helmet now anyway, and, yes, there will be pictures of my demolished face going up once I get home!

Cheers!

James

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    You will get hotter with a full-face but when on the long slow climbs you could always take it off and clip it to your rucksack.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Check out the Specialized Deviant fullface.

Good protection and loads of vents to keep you cooler. Not as cool as standard lid but not as hot as a full on FF.

Or the Met Parachute...plenty of fans of them on these boards.

Or as Daz says...on long climbs just whip it off.

*Twiddles thumbs and waits for the 'helmet always on' debate to start*
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i wore mine for a lap of the black run at thetford, it's occasionally stifling but you can just stop and take a breather from time to time.
    i have a 661 evolution btw
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Someone'll be along to slate the parachute in a minute ;) Not a fan myself but people do talk a lot of **** about them, I've seen a couple of nasty crashes where they've probably made a difference.

Personally I wouldn't wear a full facer for any sort of longer ride, even the deviant's pretty hot. Nice lid though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I got the Giro one, with removeable face plate.
    Not too bad, but still hotter than open XC type.
    Wore it in Zakinthos in 41 degrees, boy, that was hot but was necessary for the steeps.
  • OwenBird
    OwenBird Posts: 210
    Hot head vs Smashface. I'd probably err on the side of caution, especially following a stack where I'd hurt my face. Quick note though - Goggles on a broken nose is a proper nightmare.

Then once you've got your confidence back, buy a 'normal' lid, and use discretion about which to use, when.
    SOLD!
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Did a lap of the red at Glentress on Tuesday, it does get pretty warm, but not majorly uncomfortable.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    If it'll give you the confidence you need to get back on then go for it.

I had a similar experience (not as bad by the sound of things) but never went for the full face.
  • The only thing that puts me off a full face is people laughing at me pootling along while they zip past me in a light xc helmet thinking overkill. :oops:

...Bit stupid really, coz it seems a lot of people only buy them after they've learned the lesson for themselves. Maybe I'll get one before I damage the moneymaker!

I don't think it's overkill, it's better than a busted face and permenant scarring.
  • alitodd
    alitodd Posts: 104
    I got the parachute after a couple of near misses (I'm rather attached to my nose...)
    I've been using it for a couple of months, and it's proved to be the perfect middle ground - not too hot, but enough protection that It's reassuring.
    I know someone will come along in a minute and tell me that i'm wrong and how it punctured their lung and exploded at the first sight of the trail... but as far as Im concerned, its the cat's silk, monogrammed nightwear :lol:
    I know not where I am going, my future will decide. But it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride.

Giant Reign X1 2009 (With shiny bits)
  • Another thumbs up for the Parachute. Mine has saved my ugly mug a number of times. I tried riding in my FF but it was too hot and claustrophobic, best left to DH in my opinion, but then there are some people who manage to ride ok in them.

It's up to you really though, I wouldn't worry about the opinion of some mincing gayboys thinking that you "have all the gear but no idea".
  • Northwind
    Torres wrote:
    Did a lap of the red at Glentress on Tuesday, it does get pretty warm, but not majorly uncomfortable.

But then it's not exactly hot out... Try it in summer!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • For me, they don't really get too hot unless the temp is around 35- 40C, but heat isn't a major issue for me. I think riding your average trails, just keep with a regular lid. Ther accident is more likely bad luck than something that is likely to recurr in the near future.
  • May err on the side of caution and go with the full face - I already look like a power ranger with my arm and leg armour and found that, whilst the first time you go out you feel overkill, you soon forget about it.

Not sure about the parachute - just looks a bit flimsy (although I'm sure it's not). Things like the 2009 661 Evo carbon are £100 at the moment and I think that's where I'll look first...

Then I'll just have to pick up a cheapo Giro or something for cruising down the canals, etc...

Anyway, I'm out of hospital now. Face is a mess but looks like it'll heal back pretty well - nowt wrong with a few scars and, being married, my missus is stuck with me... :roll:

Funny thing is I came off my bike last year and it really knocked my confidence, but this time I'm not really bothered - it was just bad luck rather than rider error. Just one of those things!

Cheers for the opinions!

James
  • Northwind
    slimboyjim wrote:
    Funny thing is I came off my bike last year and it really knocked my confidence, but this time I'm not really bothered - it was just bad luck rather than rider error. Just one of those things!

Hah, I'm the other way round, when it's rider error you can think "Don't do that again" but when it's pure luck there's not much you can do about it...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Northwind wrote:
    Torres wrote:

But then it's not exactly hot out... Try it in summer!

One of the reasons i was wearing it :wink:
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    After a low speed crash that gve me minor jaw injury I went full face and just got used to it, So long as you keep moving it's okay; but I cannot afford the dental work or time off if I smash my face up. Another 661 evo user, though may go for a met parachute in the future.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • I wear a Giro Remedy for exactly the same reason - couldn't care less about what anyone else says, it's my face, not theirs :wink:
  • trip
    trip Posts: 64
    I went through the same situation about 10 years ago, broke my nose and lost alot of skin from my face so i bought a full face lid shortly after. It was good for building up my confidence again but i found it too hot to ride anywhere but downhill, and too much of a nuisance to keep stopping to take it off. I think it lasted about 6 weeks before i got rid of it.
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    as people have said you would have to take it off on climbs! what a faff and in my opinion would make the ride more of a chore! get a normal lid and enjoy, just take your injury as unlucky.
  • Aaaargh! Decisions!

Would have to get a 'normal' helmet as well anyway - full face doesn't really cut it on the odd towpath trek I do :lol:

James
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I've thought about it but they're too hot. if I could find one that vents aswell as an entry level XC lid then I'd definitely drop the cash for heavier trails but every one I've tried so far has been just too hot ... plus you're field of vision is often restricted in a "proper" full face compared to an open face helm.

may have a look at the deviant though
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day