Compact to 53/39?

adamsvend
adamsvend Posts: 28
edited February 2010 in Workshop
Just got hold of 2009 Trinity Alliance TT frame which is specced with a Pinarello MOST compact crankset - (don't ask!)

Can I simply fit 53/39 and slide the Front mech up (it seems to have the slide range)?

Thanks

Adam

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    yes
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Interesting because I'm thinking of changing from 53/39 to compact. Will it require a different length chain?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    adamsvend wrote:
    Just got hold of 2009 Trinity Alliance TT frame which is specced with a Pinarello MOST compact crankset - (don't ask!)

Can I simply fit 53/39 and slide the Front mech up (it seems to have the slide range)?

Thanks

Adam

I might be wrong but I think you can buy 110BCD chainrings in 53/39 if you want.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    markos1963 wrote:
    adamsvend wrote:

Thanks

Adam

I might be wrong but I think you can buy 110BCD chainrings in 53/39 if you want.

You can indeed.

And I highly rate Stronglight CT2 rings...
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    +1. The easiest way to get the best of both worlds.
    +1 on the Stronglight too.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Carl_P wrote:
    Interesting because I'm thinking of changing from 53/39 to compact. Will it require a different length chain?
    Going that way with the same cassette you will probably have to take two links out of the chain. Going compact > standard you need to add two links. On my bike anyway.

If you change the cassette you may not need to change anything, e.g. I can use the same chain length with 39/53-11/23 and 34/50-12/27.