Motivation

KiNgOfThEmOuNtAiN
KiNgOfThEmOuNtAiN Posts: 99
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
Hi, after trying endlessly I have finally remembered my password so I can get some advice.
Motivation. I have no motivation what so ever to go out and go for a ride. It's sunny right now, that's helping but the idea of slogging up a hill is hindering me. Loose women being on t.v gives me a sign that i should be out now. I feel tired, and just 'cba' to go out, but actually want to?! My mates just ridden and i would have liked to rode with him but he said he's got coursework so im in a pickle. How can i motivate myself to get off my bloody arse? HELP!
cheers, h
My father's name was Antonio Andolini... and this is for you.

Comments

• Buy train ticket then leave money/card at home, jump on a train with bike to station some miles away, . You have to cycle to get home again, no choice, motivation sorted. :D
  • haha, i've just worked that through my head. Great idea. I want to try that.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Man Up - go ride! :wink:

Seriously - you seem to be in a position where you have plenty of time to ride. This will probably not always be the case. So, make the most of it.
  • Give up. become a coach potatoe. Get fat. Look back on your life in 5 years time and wonder why you are with the ugliest girl you know!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    ease the pace back a bit to enjoy it. you must of bombed yourself out.
  • Ask youself why you wanted to cycle in the first place? Having a goal is the root of motivation IMHO.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Hi, after trying endlessly I have finally remembered my password so I can get some advice.
    Motivation. I have no motivation what so ever to go out and go for a ride. It's sunny right now, that's helping but the idea of slogging up a hill is hindering me. Loose women being on t.v gives me a sign that i should be out now. I feel tired, and just 'cba' to go out, but actually want to?! My mates just ridden and i would have liked to rode with him but he said he's got coursework so im in a pickle. How can i motivate myself to get off my bloody ars*? HELP!
    cheers, h

I've had a lot of this in the last year. Don't put pressure on yourself to go for a ride, don't feel that you need to do at least 'x' miles or slog up steep hills. If you do something because you feel obliged to, you'll probably end up resenting it and your motivation will go even lower. I find that going for a short, easy ride on local lanes, or even just round the park for an hour, brings my motivation back - I'm riding my bike cos I enjoy it, not because I feel I should be.

And then when your motivation comes back, you'll be more positive about flogging yourself on longer tougher rides :D
  • iain_j wrote:

I've had a lot of this in the last year. Don't put pressure on yourself to go for a ride, don't feel that you need to do at least 'x' miles or slog up steep hills. If you do something because you feel obliged to, you'll probably end up resenting it and your motivation will go even lower. I find that going for a short, easy ride on local lanes, or even just round the park for an hour, brings my motivation back - I'm riding my bike cos I enjoy it, not because I feel I should be.

And then when your motivation comes back, you'll be more positive about flogging yourself on longer tougher rides :D

Ye thanks for that. I might just go up a couple of quiet lanes. I think another part of it is the stopping at traffic lights, for some reason thats just annoying and i dont like to stop-start. Also when im on a main road i don't like me say going 18mph while ive got a car going 70 on a dual...puts me off a bit. I like the idea of having a nice ride down a sunny, lane overlooking a view..im probably just dreaming though. (:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I like the idea of having a nice ride down a sunny, lane overlooking a view..im probably just dreaming though. (:

That's another thing. Get the train out and ride somewhere different. If I had to ride from my front doorstep every time I'd soon get bored of the first and last ten miles of every ride being the same.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    stop whining you big girls blouse
  • tbutch
    tbutch Posts: 27
    I assume from the coursework comment that your at school/uni.
    I've just bagged my first proper job out of uni and although it's great - i'm working 8-6 and beyond every day aka no time to ride, and need my car for work, so can't even commute!

The time when you'll have literally all day to watch loose women will soon end and you'll long for days when you can just ride - after the first 15 mins you'll be loving it. if you dont, go home and try again the day after, just have a prat around and you'll get back into it
  • You're young.

Your memory is going.

Your trousers are around your ankles.

Your mates are out getting fit and having a ball.

Now draw a line on a piece of paper. This is the length of your life. Pause. Mark on the line where you are now in your life with a cross. Reflect.

then watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • lochindaal wrote:
    Give up. become a coach potatoe. Get fat. Look back on your life in 5 years time and wonder why you are with the ugliest girl you know!

If that doesn't get you out, then what will!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • ye..going out tommorow morning hoping to do 20 miles about 9 o'clock :)
  • Papapete
    Papapete Posts: 133
    60 mph winds and driving rain at 9 tomorrow morning across the whole country!
  • make it more fun :D
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Give yourself a reward if you go out riding - e.g. go for a few beers at the pub if you go out, no beers if you don't!
  • My best rides are my unmotivated rides. I usually agree with my brain that I'll got for a nice easy spin and end up beasting it and feeling so much better
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Its difficult when the weather is dull to get out and go for it.

I find when I'm not that motivated, it's best to say, "I'll do an hour". Leave myself plenty of time, two hours or so. No rush.

I usually end up doing nearly two hours and enjoying it more than squeezing an hour inbetween things because I feel obliged.

When the clocks change, the weather improves and I can get out in the week, its easier.

Its also easier if you have an event lined up
    Richard

Giving it Large